1980 Suzuki RGB500 Team Gallina

russ

The Firebird is not going too well and I've had a temporary loss of motivation.

Which means we can start with number 2, well clouds and silver linings and all that malarky.

Here we have one of the early Tamiya bike kits, the Suzuki RGB500 in the italian team Gallina Colours from 1980, this was the bike ridden a certain Graziano Rossi, father of the great Valentino. Although the numbers are not included on the kit's decals to be able to model Rossi's bike.

I'll be building this with the S-27 Etch set, I have also got the Pit Walk book on the RG-r, which is a truly superb book with stacks of great pictures.

Here's some early pictures, the kit box, etch set etc, the only work done so far is to glue the body parts together, and the engine halves.

More updates to follow shortly, I'm a bit behind in posting this one!

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

As usual comments and tips etc welcome.

Thanks for looking

RUSS

Hi Russ

I remember building this kit as a youngster, I was horrified to find the Tamiya decals were translucent and the yellow and white showed the blue underneath - completely ruining the model.

hope you have a lot more luck with this one than me! watching this closely :)

Hi Russ

I remember building this kit as a youngster, I was horrified to find the Tamiya decals were translucent and the yellow and white showed the blue underneath - completely ruining the model.

hope you have a lot more luck with this one than me! watching this closely :)

Cheers Skii

That's useful info to know. ALthough on the sheet they look quite nice and dense colour wise. Might have to think carefully about how they are applied now.

Russ

Cheers Skii

That's useful info to know. ALthough on the sheet they look quite nice and dense colour wise. Might have to think carefully about how they are applied now.

Russ

Hi Russ

they might well have improved them now, as this was nearly 20 years ago and this particular kit is as old as Tamiya itself !

cheers

John

Cheers Skii

Russ

Aren't the decals by Cartograf now? If they are, they should be pretty good and have good whites, not the yellowish tinge that the Tamiya ones had.

Don't think you'll have too much of a problem with these.

Best of luck with your build. Nice subject.

Dave

Aren't the decals by Cartograf now? If they are, they should be pretty good and have good whites, not the yellowish tinge that the Tamiya ones had.

Don't think you'll have too much of a problem with these.

Best of luck with your build. Nice subject.

Dave

Just checked out the decals and they are by Cartograph, printed in 2006, so all should be OK with them.

Bit of an update, I haven't actually done this much in 1 day was a bit behind in getting the first post up.

Core engine parts and frame painted, few touch ups on the frame still required, engine was painted will Alclad II Jet Exhaust, cylinders with Dark Aluminium. Have started adding PE screw heads in all the appropriate places, although I've now run out of them and need to order some more to finish off.

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Added some of the S27 PE to the frame and clutch parts, clutch cover has also had screws added.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Decals added for speedo and rev counter and filled with crystal clear to create the glass needs some klear and polishing to sharpen it up though.

DSC_0060.jpg

Finally painted the wheels with Alclad Pale Gold, I am really pleased with how these came out.

DSC_0062.jpg

That's all for now more later I guess.

Russ

Just checked out the decals and they are by Cartograph, printed in 2006, so all should be OK with them.

Bit of an update, I haven't actually done this much in 1 day was a bit behind in getting the first post up.

Core engine parts and frame painted, few touch ups on the frame still required, engine was painted will Alclad II Jet Exhaust, cylinders with Dark Aluminium. Have started adding PE screw heads in all the appropriate places, although I've now run out of them and need to order some more to finish off.

That's all for now more later I guess.

Russ

Looking really good. Wheels especially. I've never used Alclad, but I've got some and the more I see of it. the more I'm impressed.

Got to take the plunge soon. The 1/32 Airfix MG K3 I'm butchering at the moment doesn't have any metallised parts, so.....................!

Keep up the good work.

Dave

• 1 month later...

It's been some time but finally have something of an update.

Added the clutch arm, some wiring, which I think should be bigger, added the spark plugs and wires. All painting has been with Alclad and Acrylics, either Tamiya or Games Workshop. PE screw heads added in respective places from sets by ModelCar Garage and an Aber set once these had run out.

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Then it was onto the rear swing arm, Rear disc and torque bar, wheel nut details all from the S27 set, Kit screw was replaced with 1.5mm brass tube which was filed inside to create something closer to a scale thickness to represent the axle. PE WHeel nuts etc were filed to accept the brass axle.

One small dilemma was the chain as I didn't read the instructuctions properly :doh: and joined the swing arm halves together without the chain. Resulting in a needto cut the chain to be ableto fit it. Swing arm is painted in Alclad Dark Aluminium, chain and sprocket in various alclad shades.

Some further minor detailing required before moving back to all the wiring etc.

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always comments, tips and recommendations always gladly recieved.

Russ

Coming along nicely Russ. Looking at the 'bikes from earlier era's, it's very noticeable how spindly and thin the frame and swingarm components are compared to modern stuff. Progress eh .... :D . (Probably explains why my very first road 'bikes never used to handle!! :bristow: ).

B)

• 1 month later...

Disaster Strikes Again

Having spent the last few week carefully working away to a lovely 2 colour finish with all the appropriate decals in place, this weekend came the time to do the gloss coat, using Tamiya TS13 from the rattle can, coupke of mist coats to build some protection, all looking fine, then onto the wet coats, some how the wet coat reacted or went through the mist ones and melted the acrylic X-4 blue under neath, which promptly started running under and merging with the gloss!!!. Then left outside to gas out a bit whilst I concole myself only to back out later to find Gloss coat has gone cloudy in several areas :bristow::suicide:

I'll see if I can bring myself to post some pics tonight, but the only solution I can see is a brake fluid bath and order a new set of decals. :shithappens:

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm sorry to read that you have had problems with the build, however I'm not surprised to read, yet again, of another modeller suffering the dreaded TS13 disasters...I've lost count how many times... :angrysoapbox.sml:

This stuff is just to hot for decals...probably only any good decanted and airbrushed. For a decal safe clearcoat from the can use Mr Hobby Topcoat. It never fails.

Mr Hobby Topcoat

Also, if you want to do the Graziano bike, the decals are available on the Studio 27 decal sheet for the '79 transkit..They have the essential '22's and the 'G Rossi' for the fairing....

Rossi decals..

HTH,

Paul