1/72nd Revell P-47D

dylan the rabbit

I'm entering another kit! Seeing as we're mostly Jug men here, I'm going to build a 1/72nd P-47 SEAC.

I figured I'd be able to build the Hurri and P-47 side by side, and take advantage of being able to spray the camo at the same time.

Voila.

Already sprayed up the cockpit and interior, and will hopefully get to detail it tomorrow.

Lovely little kit this one.

Cheers,

Nick

Nice one.There are some nice jugs on the market in 1/72.Which make is yours.I am planning to build one in the future and i will be interested to see how you get on. :)

Nice one.There are some nice jugs on the market in 1/72.Which make is yours.I am planning to build one in the future and i will be interested to see how you get on. :)

It's a Revell. They do make some really nice detailed kits for the money. This one's got a nice pit, engraved panel lines, and a nice little engine. Looking forward to really getting stuck into it.

I bought one of these the other day, it looks really good on the sprue.

What after market stuff is there for it Nick, do you know?

I bought one of these the other day, it looks really good on the sprue.

What after market stuff is there for it Nick, do you know?

Don't know actually mate. Try a Hannants search. There must be something, but in all honesty, it's such a nice kit, in this scale, why bother?

I personally don't bother with after market for something this scale (ok, ok, there's the Airwaves set for the Airfix Handley Page Hampden that I bought, but that kit was, until the FM kit, the only game in town, which is why I wanted to make something nice of it.. I digress).

This one is really nicely detailed though, and would look fine OOB.

How will you do yours? As per the kit, or as a Brit?

All the best,

Nick

Don't know actually mate. Try a Hannants search. There must be something, but in all honesty, it's such a nice kit, in this scale, why bother?

I personally don't bother with after market for something this scale (ok, ok, there's the Airwaves set for the Airfix Handley Page Hampden that I bought, but that kit was, until the FM kit, the only game in town, which is why I wanted to make something nice of it.. I digress).

This one is really nicely detailed though, and would look fine OOB.

How will you do yours? As per the kit, or as a Brit?

All the best,

Nick

I have gone through a spate of buying 1:72 kits for my new Seac collection, so it is intended to be A brit one, probubly a natural finish.

I usually build everything oob, even in 1:48 but in this smaller scale my sausage fingers are struggling with masking the canopies.

But i will have a look on Hannants to see if there is one, cheers.

edit- just had a look on the big H

Eduard EDXS203 Paint masks (aircraft) Limited Availability 1:72 P-47D/M Thunderbolt (designed to be used with revell kit) £1.99

i think i will be getting me one of them there then.

Edited by palacefan

edit- just had a look on the big H

Eduard EDXS203 Paint masks (aircraft) Limited Availability 1:72 P-47D/M Thunderbolt (designed to be used with revell kit) £1.99

i think i will be getting me one of them there then.

Ahh, you big poof! What's wrong with paper and Tamiya tape? Or freehand?!

You going to enter one of these in the GB then mate?

Ahh, you big poof! What's wrong with paper and Tamiya tape? Or freehand?!

You going to enter one of these in the GB then mate?

Not going to have time to enter it for GB as i have a liberator in the wings when i finish my jag,vengance and hurricane.

as for being a big poof, you have mistaken me for someone with modelling ability. Actually the bubble top isnt that bad is it, its the two green houses im trying to mask at the mo that has made my cheeks clench.

Here's a few shots of the P-47 I'm building for the SEAC GB.

Nice kit. The cockpit is nicely detailed for something this size, and went together well. No problems in joining the fuselage either.

_D9O2026.jpg

_D9O2027.jpg

The real ballache was in the wing roots. Each wing joins the fuselage by two spars each side which slot in to the fuselage, and when they're in as far as they can go, there's a nice 1mm gap along the entire length of each join. Bugger. Quite surprising for this kit, as I'd read they didn't need any filler at all.

So, in order to strengthen the wings, I used epoxy resin glue on the spars, and when that was set, masked off the areas around the wing join, and filled it in with a home made gloop of melted sprue (bits of sprue melted in an old jar of glue). It seems to have worked a treat, and all I need to do it the cleanup.

_D9O2030.jpg

_D9O2031.jpg

More to follow.

Tata,

Nick

Looking good so far.You're right about this kit not needing any aftermarket bits.The cockpit detail looks supurb.As accurate as will ever be needed in this scale.

ooooh that does look like a nice kit, nice one Nick :speak_cool: