SAAB GRIPEN help appreciated

chris57

The 2-seat Gripen in 1/72 was available briefly from both Revell and Italeri a few years back - maybe 2003?

I guess they are both the same kit.

It seems to be hard to find nowadays, as I started looking for one in Feb 2007 after buying the Model Alliance decals for the QinetiQ example.

It took me until Feb 2008 to find one on sale at a show (Yeovilton as it happens) and its now half built.

Thanks hepster i picked up the revell boxing of the c yesterday but it was the Qinetiq example i was thinking of when i started this enquiry, and thanks also to you clive i wasn't sure as to the accuracy of the current crop, but i think you've answered my questions. many thanks cheers chris

I have built the italeri, and will be building the airfix. They are the same kit, as is the revell (new box), they are nice kits and build into a good representation of the gripen. I recommend the new aires exhaust, they are brilliant.

:speak_cool:

Edited by alrite

I have the 1/72 Italeri and Airfix boxings and they are the same kit albeit with a different set of underwing stores - I'm at work at the moment so I can't confirm which one supposedly represents the production model.

Here is a decent review of the kit when released by Bilek.

Bilek Gripen

Clive

Thanks for linking my kit review, Clive. :thumbsup:

Chris: here's a small walkaround gallery I posted on the net a while back of Czech Gripens. I hope you"ll find them useful:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/kevan_vogler/jas39_gripen/

Good God - while looking for summat else today I discovered I too have a 1/72 Italeri Gripen

I can't even remember buying. At least it seems to be well thought of, which is always welcome.

Totally irrelevant I know, but there you go.

Carry on.

The 2-seat Gripen in 1/72 was available briefly from both Revell and Italeri a few years back - maybe 2003?

I guess they are both the same kit.

It seems to be hard to find nowadays, as I started looking for one in Feb 2007 after buying the Model Alliance decals for the QinetiQ example.

It took me until Feb 2008 to find one on sale at a show (Yeovilton as it happens) and its now half built.

Did it cost more than 5 poonds mate?? :whistle:

Thanks hepster i picked up the revell boxing of the c yesterday but it was the Qinetiq example i was thinking of when i started this enquiry, and thanks also to you clive i wasn't sure as to the accuracy of the current crop, but i think you've answered my questions. many thanks cheers chris

My Italeri JAS-37b is almost built and goes together fine with a lot of filler around the wing roots. But the Gripen looks so tiny next to a Lightning on the workbench.