Maltese Beaufighter

Hello everyone,

For my first model posted on Britmodeller, I present to you a 48th scale Tamiya Beaufighter in tropical colours from the Malta campaign.

This one has been built pretty much out of the box, although I did scratch some exhaust pipes for the Hercules radials and deflect the rudder. The key here was to mess around with the weathering - I know this degree of paint peeling seems over the top, but the sun was harsh, the air loaded with salt and the missions frequent in the cauldron of the Mediterranean...

Anyway, enough words, on with the pictures:

Beaufighter_progress_01.jpg

Beaufighterfinal01.jpg

Beaufighterfinal02.jpg

Beaufighterfinal03.jpg

Beaufighterfinal04.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, and any advice on things I could improve would be welcomed.

Tom

Hi mate and welcome to Britmodeller.

While Ed's away, I'm the keeper of straightjackets! your's is now fitted, wear it with pride!

The Beau looks great mate, really worn under that Med sun. Might benefit from a coat of matt just to take the shine off though.... just a thought, otherwise lovely.

Nice looking Beau.

critique- it's basically a good attractive model you have got there. I think the replication of exposed metal is a little overdone, and with weathering I always feel "less is more." You obviously are only going to get better and the super-detailing stuff you have carried out looks extremely well done. With weathering, I agree the harsh operating conditions and baking sun would definitely need to be portrayed in some way. Problem is you are obviously toward the "artist" end of the modelling spectrum, and the urge to just get stuck in with the weathering is compelling, and sometimes overpowering- having said all that- the model has "soul" so thats a big :thumbsup2: from me

Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words about the Beau, and of course for the advice.

The matt coat is something which definitely troubles me - I hand paint everything, don't have an airbrush, and I've never really managed to get a properly matt finish (especially with the Humbrol Matt Cote I use - I was thinking of trying Xtracrylix' version, as all of the rest of it is in Tamiya acrylic). As soon as I work it out, all the old models are getting a going over, trust me!! :D

As for the weathering, I fully accept that it's overdone, and I'm a bit annoyed with myself for getting carried away like that. I've seen some fairly heavily chipped Maltese aircraft, but if I'm honest none of them ever looked that bad. I didn't do the undersides as heavily because I'd heard that the sun was a major problem for the paint, and the underside wouldn't have seen so much.

One thing I could have done was faded the paint a bit, but without an airbrush that sort of thing is always a little too hard for a rank amatuer such as myself! :)

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to say hello, to comment, and to offer your advice, which is gladly received.

Cheers,

Tom

I hand paint everything, don't have an airbrush

Tell me please how you get such a soft edge to your camo! What a cracker, as everyone else has suggested a matt coat and this will look superb.

Beautiful build,

Eng

Tom,

Welcome to BM. Lovely Beaufighter, with, I would say, quite restrained weathering for an aircraft operating in that particular theatre - well done (if you want really heavy weathering, try the P-61 Black Widows that operated in the PTO and CBI theatres of war!).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

I see you like the "Ive had me car keyed look" like Les does... :analintruder:

Nice Beaufighter...

Cheers,

Neil

:D yeah, that's it!

Actually, it's the first time I've ever gone anywhere near that far with the weathering. Even on another Maltese bird I was a lot more restrained:

Maltese_Spitfire_Progress_16.jpg

It was worth having a go at though, I reckon.

Thanks to all for the comments/critiques/jokes at my expense. :D

Excellent model and a super paint job. It's hard to believe it's hand-brushed.

One question? Did you use a picture of a post-war Hercules to detail your engines? I ask because the pipes should go toward the front, not the rear. Wartime engines had the exhaust collector on the front of the cowling. Later versions of the Hercules, as used on the Bristol Freighter and the Nord Noraltas, had the exhaust pipes directed toward the rear.

Welcome to the forum!

That's some sharp building there - very nice work indeed. Anything Maltese is just fine in my book, and to think you brush painted it? Impressive.

Keep posting please. And as Perry says, get an airbrush... they do make life easier (said the man with 300 posts and no model photos to show for it ;)).

Excellent model and a super paint job. It's hard to believe it's hand-brushed.

One question? Did you use a picture of a post-war Hercules to detail your engines? I ask because the pipes should go toward the front, not the rear. Wartime engines had the exhaust collector on the front of the cowling. Later versions of the Hercules, as used on the Bristol Freighter and the Nord Noraltas, had the exhaust pipes directed toward the rear.

:blink: I had no idea! But it makes perfect sense, of course. All the Hercules radial pics I've found show them heading rearwards. This build is just getting worse and worse, isn't it? :D :D

As for all the urging to get a paintbrush, yeah, you're right, I should get one. One of these days. I've got to get rid of a load of kits first, then save up to buy a house, then maybe I'll think about it (i.e. be allowed to do so by my wife! :D)

As far as the exhausts go, don't sweat it. 99% of people wouldn't know the difference and you can't really see it on the model. I wouldn't worry about an airbrush either. Your brush painting skills look first rate.

Great models! :) Not battered enough for me though......

Don't know if I'm allowed to advertise here but B&Q do a rattle-can matt varnish that works a treat. I use it on all my builds.

Right, I'm off down there this afternoon! Cheers for the tip, mate.

Lovely build Thom. Like others have said, it's hard to believe it's brush painted. I like what you did with the rudder too, may copy you on my night fighter if you don't mind!!

Regards

Andy :)

If you're going to do this, make the cut before you join the halves of the rudder. You'll end up with two little triangular bits at the front which you can stick together and then drill out for the holes, then attach to the fuselage first. Then the rudder itself can be glued together and added at whichever angle you choose. Hope that makes sense as a description, if not let me know and I'll try to draw a picture or something!

• 2 years later...

A very nice job and having seen photographs of Beaus in the med the weathering may not be that far out. It is a shame however that Tamiya seem to have a couple of problems with this kit. Firstly, I believe the serial is fictitious. This may be because photo's of "V" over Malta don't show it. If it is meant to be the same aircraft then it should have straight tail planes and no RP's as they weren't used at the time. The aircraft as modelled may well be correct as a replacement aircraft later on whilst the squadron was based in North Africa and Sicily definitely but not Malta - and the serial is still fictitious.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words about the Beau, and of course for the advice.

The matt coat is something which definitely troubles me - I hand paint everything....

Use Humbrol Hobby Spray Matt Varnish in a spray can - it's brilliant - but be sure to mask all the transparencies first as it will fog them. I agree the weathering's a bit overdone on the panel lines - it would have worn roughly in areas of wear - next time try spraying the model (from a can...) with Humbrol Metalcote aluminium before you paint it. Then use a modelling knife or wire wool to scrape bits off where the wear would have been heaviest.

Nice effort though and a great choice - Malta Beaufighter high on my list to do....

In the rough Maltese conditions, im not surprsed the Beufigheter would look worn, nice work.