BSG Colonial Viper

I noticed on Starship Modeller that Revell have introduced a new tooling of the old Monogram Colonial Mk 2 Viper.

There's a review on it on the same site that says it's nae bad.

Has anyone built one? I wouldn't mind one if its ok.

It seems from research, that the only other options are the really expensive Black Sun or MMI resin kits. Resin scares me off a little, so I would think the Revell is the only injection option right?

Obi Jiff? Smiffy? Any ideas?

Cheers geezers,

Nick

Nick, is this the "Proper" original Viper, or the new remake where Starbuck has had a sex change with the Mickey Mouse Vipers?

Bexy

I believe it's the original one.

Hmm i'll keep my eye on that then, Ive got an original one from about 10+ yrs ago still in undercoat upstairs :lol:

Bexy

Well, I suppose it's better than keeping it in your underwear..

:rofl: when I get around to playing with it again, I'll dig it out snap a photo or 2 then try and find some decent piccies I use to paint it properly.

Bexy

Hurrah!

So that'll be the old Monogram kit then?

I think so, Ive even got a built but unpainted Galactica in the loft too, i think I'll dig em both out during the summer once Ive got a few aircraft out the way for other people.

Bexy

Did I hear my name called?

There's a review of the new Revell kit on cybermodeler:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_rm_6442.shtml

but the gist of it is, it's the classic Monogram kit from the original show, with retooled exhausts (now with clear parts), clear canopy, cockpit tub, pilot, and a different stand. The decals also include the pilot's names for the cockpit sides, so you'll either have to choose your favourite (Starbuck!) or buy more than one.

HTH

Couldn't resist it. Just bought one from Starship Modeller.

Ahh, happy times. Another kit to hide from the wife!

You better build it as soon as you get it then Nick, or i'll come lookin for yas and tell ya wife :tease: Seriosuly tho, hope you wont keep us in suspenders for long and get it built :worthy:

Bex von Cheeky :cow6:

Oh, I'd imagine it'll end up languishing in the stash..

Mind you. With all the Star Wars AMT/ERTL stuff I just bought (did I tell you I got the Falcon, Darth's TIE, the small X-wing, a Snowspeeder, an AT-AT and Slave 1 for 20 quid for the lot!) and the Viper, I'll be sorted for the Sci-fi group build in June.

But then, as we're expecting another baby then, maybe the only thing my modelling desk will see is dust... :tumble:

We shall see.

Anyway Bex. Got a Hurricane on the bench right now, so gratuitous pics will be posted shortly.

Tata,

Nick

Ooooooooooo Hurricane yummy :worthy: What do you want a baby for? I would have thought hearing about the :devil: child here would have scared you off :yikes: besides they interfer with the important things in life, like modelling :lol: Ive just disposed of 3 SW models, Cutaway Falcon, Daft Vaders Tie & Annakins Pod to a jolly nice chap who seems to adhore making them thar ClankyTankyTreadyThingys at a vast rate of knots :yikes::worthy:

Bexy

the new remake where Starbuck has had a sex change

Bexy

True, but if my life depended on it I'd rather have her in my corner than Dirk Benedict. The new 'Boomer' is a big improvement too, but in an entirely different way :wicked:

I've been looking for one of those old Monogram kits for ages now, anyone know if it will be coming to the UK or do I need to order from the US?

Steve.

I've been looking for one of those old Monogram kits for ages now, anyone know if it will be coming to the UK or do I need to order from the US?

Steve.

Dunno, but you could try Forbidden Planet, as they often import stuff that doesn't get a general release over here.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/

Their mail-order service seems really good. I've pre-ordered lots of stuff, and it has always appeared. My girlfriend also ordered my birthday present from them on Sunday, and it arrived before 8am Wednesday morning.

Also, last time the BSG kits were released, they turned up in Toys R Us in droves. Mind you, since then, TRU seem to have halved their kit section, so don't hold your breath.

At the moment, these kits are a U.S only release.

As well as the Viper, Revell have also re-released the Cylon Raider and the Basestar (both of these kits have had some re-tooling done).

If you're interested in these kits, then I would recomend getting them from Starship Modeler. John and Linda are good peeps and their quick service is legendary. I can get stuff from them quicker than I can from Hannants or Comet.

Plus, you'll usually find it works out cheaper than buying it from somewhere over here.

Here's another Viper review, plus one for the Raider.

The resin Black sun 72nd kits are very nice, especially the MkVII which is a real beauty. Nice one piece cast fuselage and wings, with some of the most crisp scribing I've seen done on a Resin kit.

There's a Raptor coming soon and from what I've seen so far, the surface detail is gonna rival the MkVII. Reeeeally looking forward to that. B)