Bandai 1/144 Gundam Sniper

Hi all

Well this here is my in progress 1/144 Gundam Sniper from Bandai. The kit was easy to assemble but all main joins required a bit of filler. The kit has been primed and resanded and polished and is now ready for paint. The only extras I added were some blanking plates behind the knees to prevent a see through look and a couple of beef up plates above the shoes. These kits are a total blast to build and a great way to do something out of your normal. I am hoping to have paint on him by the weekend...I will post more pics (better ones too) if you would like to see them. BTW, no hands are on yet :)

OOOPPPPSSSSS Just noticed the arms are on the wrong sides!! Luckily they wont be glued until the kit is all painted!! :analintruder:

Gundam006.jpg

Gundam007.jpg

Gundam005.jpg

Gundam004.jpg

Gundam003.jpg

Gundam002.jpg

Er what does it do Mike?

Welll thats a good question!! Right now it just stands there and stares at me! :analintruder:

Seriously it is a mobile suit that a "pilot" actually rins from a cockpit built into its chest. It carries a HUGE overscale sniper rifle or in my guys case a sniper pistol eventually. The kit itself in 1/144 stand about 6.5 inches tall.

I am thoroughly hooked on these kits and now buy only the master and perfect grade kits that come with all of the internal skeleton and the exo skeleton. They are fully poseable as well. In fact the base this one is on will soon have groundwork and some grass etc and my wife laughed at me the other night for asking her to help me pose him!! I know its quite silly but they are truly an enjoyable way to break up the monotany of building real world things. Its fun to let the imagination go. In fact my next couple will be in a diorama together in battle. Why you ask?? I say why not!! :)

Nice one Mike, I look forward to seeing it painted. What are your plans? Clean & as per the cartoon series, or something custom with lots of weathering? Something in between? I love these kits, although I tend to build the 1/100 master grade ones. It's a shame they're very expensive to buy in the UK, unless you get them direct from Hong Kong or the like. Trouble is, I've had a few damaged in the post.

Nice one Mike, I look forward to seeing it painted. What are your plans? Clean & as per the cartoon series, or something custom with lots of weathering? Something in between? I love these kits, although I tend to build the 1/100 master grade ones. It's a shame they're very expensive to buy in the UK, unless you get them direct from Hong Kong or the like. Trouble is, I've had a few damaged in the post.

Ant

I am leaning toward the middle of the road beaten up look. I really wont be following many of the painting guides as they tend to look way too flashy like the old Voltron series or just too drab. I want mine to look like they have a sense of purpose. I do the 1/100 MG ones myself and even have this sniper in that series. I just tossed this one together because it was sitting on top of the shelf :)

I just got two more 1/35 ones from Hong Kong today and am looking forward to doing them. They are spendy for sure arent they?? One of my Perfect Grades cost me nearly 200 USD!!

Got any pics of yours??

Mike

Nice... Which Gundam series is it from? Looking forward to seeing how this one turnes out, a lot of the kits I've seen painted tend to get a heavy weathering applied.

I gues I'm the oppisite, building an aircraft or piece of armour is a break from the norm :wacko:

I'm after the MG 1/60 God Gundam from the G-Gundam series, when I get some spare cash that is <_< Just splashed out on some fighters from the Macross Zero, Macross (Robotech) and Macross Plus series: VF-0S with reactive armour (already got this one), VF-0S with Ghost Booster, VF-1S plus weapons pack & photo etch kit, VF-1S in battle mode and the YF-19 & YF-21 prototypes in fighter mode.

Edited by Paul B

well its painted and weathered. I preshaded all of the joints and recesses first and then used Model Master Medium Green as the base color. Once painted overall I added a few drops of black to the base color and darkened a few other spots. After that I lightened the paint and highlighted and faded some of the facets on the body legs and arms. Sorry for the crappy pics. I shot them on the way out the door today and didnt set my camera up properly. Just a quick overview of what he will look like. I still have to add a bit more weathering and will do some groundwork on the base. I have also yet to paint the face shield.

Gundam2009.jpg

Gundam2004.jpg

Gundam2002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good mike! I do like the Sniper gundam, specially with his portable power tub and enourmous rifle! :D

Nice... Which Gundam series is it from? Looking forward to seeing how this one turnes out, a lot of the kits I've seen painted tend to get a heavy weathering applied.

I think this one is from the 8th MS Team Series.

I'm waiting for my MG RX-178 to come in then I can get started on that badboy :)

Now that I have the new camera set up I will take some much better shots of him this evening. Almost done now. The base is the final thing to do and then off to the display case.

Wezra I have another 15 or so Master Grade 1/100 and even a few Hard Graph 1/35 kits to dig into. These darn things are addicting. I am contemplating a diorama with a Zaku II and maybe an RX-78 next :)

Excellent work Mike, very nicely done indeed :D 15 MG kits! God man, thats only a few kits less than my entire stash... Gods speed on the next build, looking forward to it.

Edited by Paul B

Excellent work Mike, very nicely done indeed :D 15 MG kits! God man, thats only a few kits less than my entire stash... Gods speed on the next build, looking forward to it.

Paul what do you think of a Zaku 2 and a RX-78 diorama?? Kinda of one of those fallen knight with victorious knigts standing over him scenes??

Thanks for the complements!!!

Mike

Think that would be cool, how about the Zaku taking the win? What type of scenery have you thought about, Space based, Colony or set on Earth!?

Paul

The Zaku shall prevail for once!! I am actually thinking of a forest based scene with the RX-78 falling back into some water. I will draw one up soon and post it here.

Cheers

Mike

• 4 months later...