Screaming Tornado

wingslinger

Within a few minutes of being at Newark Air Museum yesterday I could hear an incoming fast jet... we glanced up and saw a screaming Tornado above. I had an 85mm lens on so couldn't get too close to it.... but I liked the Buccaneer foreground:

tonka1.jpg

On closer inspection I'm thinking that this is a GR4 from 617 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth... anyone tell for sure with this:

tonka2.jpg

Thanks

Martin

Edited by wingslinger

Could be a 15 Sqn machine that got a fin cap from a 617 machine in maintenance.

I was talking to a Tornado pilot at an airshow back in september and I was remarking on all the various shades of grey the panels on his aircraft had and he told me that these days the maintenance crews aren't given the resources to repaint a panel to match the aircraft its going onto, they just stick it on and if it fits, that's the only thing that matters.

So its quite concievable that a 15 sqn aircraft needed a new fin cap and an old 617 marked one was what was handy.

CHRIST_ you can zoom in like that with a CAMERA!!!! Is it like a sort of mini hubble telescope or summat :shrug:

My D3 shoots full frame at over 4000 x 3000 pixels (12megapixel).... if I crop right into it (on the Tornado) it gives me an image that's about 600 pixels across, which is no good for printing but fine for showing on a the web

M

According to this it's now with 31 squadron. I think we should all chip in and buy it some new decals :lol:

The RAF Tornado GR4 fleets AFAIK are now becoming centralised at each base, so rather than the Sqns "owning" their own airframes, they're centralised under the "wing" - hence I suspect Sqn marking will become a thing of the past on the majority. :)