The Stringbag Diorama

Madman

Try talking to Robin Carpenter of Cammett ltd about your problem with resin. Robin really knows his stuff and will not only be able to advise on the best type of artificial water but also on how bes to use it. He advertises in all the aircraft modelling magazines.

Martin

The new diorama is almost ready, but the bicycle and the trout :)

I added a few details to the floats, and built an assembly rig. The aircraft and the floats can be exactely positioned by sliding up or down the support struts and clamping them. The floats can be moved back and forth, centered laterally and the width in between is ajustable too. Quite basic, but efficient :)

080720Swordfish_02.jpg

080720Swordfish_01.jpg

So I take it then that you are about to put some fake water on the beach bit- and "float" the Swordfish on the water,and make the bestest model ever,

meantime I am going to go and give up modelling and sell all my kits...?

Dammit Pierre, you've got some patience! :worthy: Anyone who ever thinks about giving up on a kit after having a bit of a disaster should be forced to read this thread to show how it's done. keep up the good work! :)

Not to be a killjoy- but I can't believe they would have a bicycle under the water where they tie up a floatplane- could puncture the floats

What if the bike fell into the water AFTER the plane got tied up?

What if the bike fell into the water AFTER the plane got tied up?

Hmmm...a good reason for a soldier to get wet while getting the bike out.

Now let see how good you can scratch figures :speak_cool:

Fantastic work Pierre :worthy:

Edited by coneheadff

Pierre,

I am staggered at your perseverence and patience!

However, knowing your previous work, this is going to be a beauty when done :wub:

I look forward to more prgoress and hope the resin water works out better this time, have you found a solution? (pun intended :whistle: )

Today I worked on the floats.

A few additions here and there, and new attachment points.

080722Swordfish_02.jpg

080722Swordfish_03.jpg

Two coats of Tamiya primer, and the floats are ready for the paint job.

080722Swordfish_01.jpg

After some weathering, I feel happy again :)

080722Swordfish_04.jpg

080722Swordfish_05.jpg

080722Swordfish_06.jpg

Today I attached the floats. A delicate operation, as the stuts do not have the same length, nor a glued at correct angles (I glued the original floats without a jig).

Cheating there and there eventually allowed the parts to mate :)

080723Swordfish_04.jpg

Another difficulty: the weight of both the plane and the resin floats. Much effort is put on the weak joints. Some gel CA helped the epoxy glue which cured too soft.

080723Swordfish_03.jpg

Finally I attached the steering cables to the float rudders..

080723Swordfish_02.jpg

Now I put the model aside over the night for the glue to fully cure.

Looking great once again.

Personally I would leave the water out and if anyone asks just say the tide went out? :winkgrin:

Good luck

Going back to our potting resins here at work, what we do is pour it in layers. You need to mix enough and then pour one layer, Wait until it goes almost hard (sticky) then pour another layer. If you do it at the right time the join is invisible between the layers as the new resin slightly softens the lower layer and allows it to become one again.

We also store our resin and hardeners in a refrigerator.

Depending on drying times though it can turn into a long day!

Craig.

Edited by Craig

Am breathless. What a Journey! This isn't a thread it's a soap opera nay an epic movie; surely it's Jonny Depp for the lead?! :popcorn:

You should be banned from the forum for having the best workspace ever and making us lesser mortals feel,well, like lesser mortals. That or given a knighthood. Or both!

Simply staggering. The only disappointment was the lack of a 1/48 worm on the end of a hook- you're gonna do that now aren't you :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

The two mechanics are wondering on how to get the stupid bike out of the water!?! Note that the ladder needs some scaling down... :lol:

080729Swordfish_01.jpg

Modification of an arm: cut it at ankles, drill a hole across the parts, stick a wire through and reposition. Et voilà :) I just need to fill the gaps.

080729Swordfish_03.jpg

Note that these are German soldiers, so some changes are required. The head scratcher has already lost his "Mütze" :)