Brooklands/Edgely Optica

upnorth

I've wanted a model of an Optica ever since I was a kid and saw one in front of the British pavilion at the 1986 World Expo.

I'm not aware that there has ever been a kit of one in any medium and It wouldn't surprize me if it was never kitted as it wasn't a real success.

So, was there ever a kit of one? If so, what medium and scale? what would be the current availablilty?

Thanks in advance

Wow thats a blast from the past.

optica.jpg

Always thought it looked like a Bell 47 being fired through a hair dryer!

Only model I have ever seen was an R/C one:-

Optica_3Lc.jpg

But I'm sure with a few doner kits a scratchbuild could easily be achieved.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Can't help I'm afraid, but I saw her maiden flight at Cranfield. I was stoodgeing around being an anorak and collecting aircraft registrations, well I was only a kid!

In those days if you had the front and I had, (plus everyone was always seeing me hanging around and ignored me) you could just walk onto the airfield and get right close to the parked aircraft. I was amazed find that not only was she unpainted but the engine/prop 'tunnel' was held together with 'skinpins', these are like temporary pop rivets that sheet metal workers use to hold two sheets together whilst they rivet them.

Anyway :sorry: to go :offtopic:

Edited by Mish

I always thought it was a fascinating design when it appeared at Farnborough during the mid-to-late 80's.

It was announced that Hampshire Police were using them for traffic control (not that there ever appeared to be any

traffic control queuing to exit on either the trade or public days.

It also appeared suitably futuristic in the low budget sci-fi film Slipstream around that time too - though the

contemporary BAe rear co-axial turbo-propped close air support project would probably have looked meaner.

Edited by chek

• 2 weeks later...
I've wanted a model of an Optica ever since I was a kid and saw one in front of the British pavilion at the 1986 World Expo.

I'm not aware that there has ever been a kit of one in any medium and It wouldn't surprize me if it was never kitted as it wasn't a real success.

So, was there ever a kit of one? If so, what medium and scale? what would be the current availablilty?

Thanks in advance

There was a Czech sourced 1:72 resin kit of the Optica many years ago and I did have one (may still have it around).

John

• 4 months later...

For Optica fans, a visit to the Sywell Airshow on August 24th may be in order... we're getting an Optica display! Believe it's the first Optica display in the UK for many years - possibly more than 15 years. There is only one flying example in the UK, and it was only returned to flight earlier this year.