Nimrod references

eng

With the long awaited offering from Airfix merely hours away I thought a single thread for all info, pic's, drawings etc was just what's needed. Please top this up as reqd.

Production list - http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_Nimrod%20prodn%20list.txt

Gen info and history - http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/types/uk/bae_s...mrod/nimrod.htm

Hope this starts the ball rolling,

Eng

P.S Anyone got a pic of the weap's bay?

Two I took in Oz at the Bicentennial Air Show at Richmond:

nimrod01.jpg

Nice tail markings.

Wow, had to do a double take on that second one!

Picked up a copy of Andy Evans book "Nimrod, the Mighty Hunter" recently & it's a good ref, especially for colours & markings.

Edited by Graham T

Picked up a copy of Andy Evans book "Nimrod, the Mighty Hunter" recently & it's a good ref, especially for colours & markings.

Got a copy on Sunday, Great book. Might have to buy a Nimrod now :rolleyes:

Got a copy on Sunday, Great book.

I picked up a copy of the book today, and I think it is quite good. I don't wish to be doomsayer but please be a little cautious when using it. I have only skimmed through it so far but there are a number of errors. One of the most obvious is the line drawing p 73) and photograph (p 60) of the 120 Sqn Nimrod which states that the jet had a dark blue tail with a yellow CXX. IIRC, and I have yet to find a good photo, the CXX jet had a green tail with yellow CXX ie in the Sqn colours of green and yellow.

at the Bicentennial Air Show at Richmond

Ah what a weekend that was!! B):drink::yahoo:

Can't have been that good if you can remember it....

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Ha...mrod/0579913/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Ha...mrod/0579912/L/

Neither brilliant, but not dark blue in my book - IIRC, 42 Sqn had an anniversary Nimrod with a dark blue tail with yellow numbers (obviously the number was 42 rather than CXX!).

The 120 Squadron "CXX" tails were most definitely green. For those wanting to use the excellent MA decals for the Nimrod, both XV240 and XV260 are represented in this scheme. My only critique is that the green shown on the instruction sheet looks more like a "Kelly Green" than the more olive-hued green on the real aircraft. Speaking of which, does anyone know a good match for this green out of the bottle?

As for the Andy Evans book, what does it give you outside of the excellent Nimrod reference by Chartres? Obviously, updated pics, but is that it?

-Mike

I remember it as a more vivid green in daylight than in the pics above from when I saw it

I agree Dave. I was definitely green and a much more vivid one when the sun was on it, certainly brighter than the pictures of the tail shown in XV107's post above. I am surprised that there are so few pictures of it on Airliners.net. Someone must have a good sunlit picture of the aircraft.

Both 42 and 206 had blue tailed aircraft and they are both represented in the Andy Evan's book. Strangely the only squadron that hasn't, IIRC, had a coloured tail is 201, but then their colours are red and green (taken from the medal ribbon of the Croix de Guerre that the whole Squadron was awarded in WWI). Now a stripey red and green tail fin would be quite spectacular.......

Someone must have a good sunlit picture of the aircraft.

I have an actual 8x12 in flight picture that was given to me by 120 Sqn. showing XV240 in broad sunlight with the green tail. I will try to scan it.

EDIT: Here is the photo of XV240. This was taken by 120 Sqn in 1993 according to the Crown stamp on the back. Note the olive color of the dark green. I also saw green-tailed sister ship XV260 in person and all of my personal reference photos show the same olive-like dark green.

scan0004.jpg

Edited by PBoilermaker

Thanks PB

I knew it wasn't misremembering - that is how I remember it, shows up much better in the sunshine. I had another look at Andy's book in the fantastic sunshine we have had this week and I am convinced that the photo does actually show a green tail not as the caption says a dark blue one.