1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI SEAC: FINISHED

Dr Lurrrrve

Well, have made a start on my Mossie, which will depict an 82 Squadron RAF machine deployed on Operation Dracula in India towards the end of WWII. Mossie is in overall dull aluminium dope with dark blue SEAC theatre bands (instructions say black but unsure about this) and red spinners to add a bit of colour - just waiting on my Eagle Strike decals to arrive now!!!

No photos as of present but cockpit has been painted, detailed and joined and wings and tail have been added. Will add the engine pods next and clean up the few seams that there are. So far, so good!!!

The Tam Mossies sure are nice!!!

Happy building folks

"The Doc"

Definately dark blue ID bands, not black.

thats what i thought as well

Just a quick update...seams cleaned up and have started the painting (my fave bit). US Insignia Blue used for SEAC bands as this was closest match to the dark blue used in the roundels. Next i'll mask these off together the canopy and orifaces "ooerrrr Mrs" before spraying an undercoat of semi gloss black, a light coat of future and then i'll be using Games Workshop Methril Silver to represent the aluminium lacquer applied to stop the Mossie falling apart in the sun!

I tried Methril Silver, thinned with Tamiya Thinner on a Thunderbolt and a Mustang earlier today and it works a treat - fairly quick drying and with a nice sheen to it when sprayed at low pressure. Acrylic wise, its the best metallic paints i've used when sprayed, is relatively cheap to the alternatives and available - the other darker shades, Chainmail and Boltgun Metal are great too!!! Though they handle quite well after a few hours drying time, i tend to seal these metallics with Future, which does not seem to affect the sheen too much. In any case, planes that had seen plenty of action;particularly in the jungle climate, tended to be on the dull side anyway and so i always tend to apply a light coat of matt varnish at the end.

Happy modelling

"The Doc"

:headphones:

Some pics to follow soon but made some progress yesterday...decals applied after a Future coat. Undercarriage, wheels, props, bombs and canopy assemblies are ready for painting. She is starting to take shape now and looking rather sexy in her coat of silver!!!

Silver looks too bright and so will apply a coat of matt varnish to tone things down a bit and to enable a bit of weathering too. The elements took their toll on SEAC aircraft finishes in any case and so a dull silver dope won't be out of place.

"The Doc" :analintruder:

• 3 weeks later...

Well...finally...a couple of progress photographs of my build. Wash has been completed (thanks Mr Flory for your excellent Dark Wash!!!) and overall silver will be toned down by a light coat of matt varnish to represent the dull silver dope finish that this mosquito wore. I'll finish off by adding undercarriage, canopy, underwing bombs and a few other bits and pieces. I'll also add some light weathering with pastels at the end of the build. Hoping to have her finished in the next few days.

Hope you like so far?

Regards

"The Doc"

Mossie1.jpg

Mossie2.jpg

:analintruder:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slow over the last week or so but she is very near completion. Matt varnish has been applied (i have found Vallejo Model Air Matt Varnish to be good!) and have only to add canopy, bombs, undercarriage, exhaust shrouds and aerial. Have been making this one alongside an B.IV of 627 Squadron RAF, so she will have some company!!!

Thanks

The Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Great job Doc!!!

In the silver it looks more like a racer than a killing machine.

Very nice.

Very nice Mossie! :speak_cool:

It should really have Tropical intakes and bulged fighter canopy to be accurate,both can from a well known resin guy here in BM :tumble:

Not that the missed items take anything away from your excellent build

Very nice Mossie! :speak_cool:

It should really have Tropical intakes and bulged fighter canopy to be accurate,both can from a well known resin guy here in BM :tumble:

Not that the missed items take anything away from your excellent build

Hi Mungo

Thanks for your comments. I've re-checked my reference photo of this Mossie and i think that you are right about the tropical filters (can just make them out) but only ordinary fighter canopy appears to be installed.

Best regards

The Doc

All the SEAC FB.VI Mossie's i've seen in pics have bulged canopys... remember they are only bulged on the startboard side same as FB.XVIII Molins a/c.

But like i said great build anyway mate.

Hope my 3 1/48 Mossie's i'm currently working on come out as good as yours.

Edited by mungo1974