McLaren MP4/5B

Skii

Thankyou chaps :)

Added some photo-etch rivets tonight, just a dot of vallejo clear varnish with a fine brush, and position the rivet in place, when it dries - job done ;)

rivets1.jpg

rivets2.jpg

John, you've made one glaring error on your engine mate.

You haven't put the dip-stick on. :rofl:

it is there ....if you look very closely :D still got some cables to add yet and some chrome brackets/struts on top of the gearbox, air scoop, wings, brake air vents, brake discs, steering wheel and dashboard, lots still to do :)

J

That’s exceptional model building, everything is looking very nice and cleanly built. Your CF decaling is very good, and amazed you got Halfords Lacquer to not eat all your decals…

There was a bloke on f1m.com who built this, Steve Noble, your build is looking very much like his, but he had the really clever idea to mix a bit of gold into semi gloss and flat blacks for the tub. Not that yours isn’t look spectacular.

Nice work, and very good progress thread.

That’s exceptional model building, everything is looking very nice and cleanly built. Your CF decaling is very good, and amazed you got Halfords Lacquer to not eat all your decals…

There was a bloke on f1m.com who built this, Steve Noble, your build is looking very much like his, but he had the really clever idea to mix a bit of gold into semi gloss and flat blacks for the tub. Not that yours isn’t look spectacular.

Nice work, and very good progress thread.

Cheers mate :)

Steve Noble's build has been a big inspiration to me on this, one amazing looking model - and he helped me out sourcing the rivets for the monocoque - top bloke :)

re: Halfords lacquer, I lay a mist coat at arms length to seal the decals. and then wet coat over the top for the even sheen - then lots of micromesh rubbing !

John

Cool, yeah Steve Noble is a nice guy, he's quite a decent modeller, does a lot of motorsport, seems to have a good eye for detail. Looks like your build has benefited from it, what rivets are you using? I've got some MFH and SMS ones, but anything below .5mm and they are really hard to work with..

Cool, yeah Steve Noble is a nice guy, he's quite a decent modeller, does a lot of motorsport, seems to have a good eye for detail. Looks like your build has benefited from it, what rivets are you using? I've got some MFH and SMS ones, but anything below .5mm and they are really hard to work with..

Hi Michael

I ordered the rivets from here http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/mainIndex.asp - they arrived about the same timescale as a Hannants order, not bad a for a trip across the atlantic. They are pressed into a small rubber sheet approx 1inch square, I estimate about 100 rivets of various types, although they can be very resiient when trying to remove them from their backing sheet and LOVE to ping off into oblivion if you are not very careful indeed ;)

John

John,

Well then, I can help you with a 'iv-tecman' top tip.. For P/E that is attached to rubber backing, carefully cut the parts from the rubber - include the rubber as well, and then drop into a small amount of lacquer thinners. The rubber backing dissolves away, and then all you need to do is then get some kitchen paper, and blot up the parts, and peel them away from the kitchen paper and - voila... No more flying rivets and small P/E details...

Amazing timesaver as well...

• 2 weeks later...
John,

Well then, I can help you with a 'iv-tecman' top tip.. For P/E that is attached to rubber backing, carefully cut the parts from the rubber - include the rubber as well, and then drop into a small amount of lacquer thinners. The rubber backing dissolves away, and then all you need to do is then get some kitchen paper, and blot up the parts, and peel them away from the kitchen paper and - voila... No more flying rivets and small P/E details...

Amazing timesaver as well...

good tip that michael - cheers :)

Righty then - the wheels were masked with the excellent Crazy Modeler photo-etch templates and the tyre logo's sprayed on, they look a lot more authentic to my eye than decals (which are not supplied in the Tamiya kit - tsk tsk) Still a bit more to go but nice to see it finally on 4 wheels :)

chassis2.jpg

chassis1.jpg

chassis3.jpg

Thankyou chaps :) Pete -the bodyshell is completely removeable so it acts as a nice dust cover , I can just take it off whenever the time requires ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps, much appreciated :)

So - a few more bits to do, front wing done, rear wing mostly done but just clicked into place for now, photoetch screws added to the bodyshell, now onto the steering wheel and dashboard :)

nearlythere1.jpg

nearlythere2.jpg