McLaren MP4/5B

Skii

WOW! I know it is a car model - but car wax!?

It certainly does the trick. I feel some experimenting coming on.

cheers

Grant

yup :)

Car lacquer + Car polish = Car shine :)

Needless to say its pointless without a mirror smooth surface to begin with, hence this bodyshell took over 2 hours of wet sanding and polishing with 1500 grit paper and 4 grades of Micromesh cloth, with the wax on top it is almost mirror like :D

Great work. Very clean demarcation between the white and red areas.

I'm glad to see you have captured the brightness of Rocket Red. I remember standing at Silverstone on a dull day watching F1 testing. Looking across to the other side of the circuit, most of the cars looked dull and difficult to see. The McLaren's however, were bright and shining at that distance. For anyone who has been to the McLaren hall at the Donington collection, the line-up of red and white cars hurts your eyes after a while!

I can't wait to see the rest of your build. :popcorn:

Phil.

That looks stunning! I have to admit I'd never considered putting decals straight onto Zero basecoat - I've always cleared first & then again after the decals, which = thick clear coats!! Will try that next time I use Zero paint!

Looking forward to seeing this one done - some luvverly F1 cars being done in this build!

Keef

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the completed suspension arms, each one was drilled and a small length of brass tubing inserted

frontsuspension.jpg

and the radiators recieved some work - a small rectangle of fine mesh cut to size and inserted into the front cavity, then allcladed in various shades, looks nice under the bodyshell

radiators.jpg

Luverly John, very clean build and a super finish. Must get some tips on your clear coat, I've used Halfords clear before but find it tricky to control through the rattle can. I either end up with not enough coverage and pitted surface or bloody great drips as it goes on thick!

I've used 3 different ways for a clear coat in the past , Future/ Tamiya X-22/ Halfords Lacquer, and none give the finish you produce.

Have you given the C/F decals a layer of clear?

Keep posting the progress, looking great.

Doc

Luverly John, very clean build and a super finish. Must get some tips on your clear coat, I've used Halfords clear before but find it tricky to control through the rattle can. I either end up with not enough coverage and pitted surface or bloody great drips as it goes on thick!

I've used 3 different ways for a clear coat in the past , Future/ Tamiya X-22/ Halfords Lacquer, and none give the finish you produce.

Have you given the C/F decals a layer of clear?

Keep posting the progress, looking great.

Doc

Thanks Doc :)

Couple of mist coats, followed by a wet coat, you need to practice with the rattle can, almost tapping the nozzle to produce brief squirts from a few inches range, this should achieve a glaze all over - just be careful not to overdo it !

after that its a thorough scrub all over with various grades of micromesh until any slight imperfections in the surface are gone and the whole shell has an even glaze.

The CF decals have indeed had a layer of kleer which dries semi-gloss (for me anyway!)

J

Nearly there now John, how about building his spare car as well? :analintruder:

how_about_no.jpg

Very nice work John! I have the 'real' thing on telly now & this era of car looked soooooo much better than the things droning round the circuit in Malaysia! And maybe it's rose coloured specs, but I seem to remember the 'racing' was better too!

Great looking model!

Keef

No sense of adventure John?

nah Pete, and If I spend another £120 on a 1:20 car my missus will see to it I sleep in the garden ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

More progress - Honda V10 finally mated to chassis and wired up - radiator coolant pipes attached , the translucent blue is from a gundam marker pen - very useful ;) Radiator pipes with 3 shades of allclad and tamiya smoke to enhance shadows, still a few more cables including the exhaust sensors and throttle cable to add, looking more like a powerplant now :)

enginein3.jpg

enginein1.jpg

enginein2.jpg