McLaren MP4/5B

Skii

This will be my other GB project, this is Ayrton's 1990 Championship winning car.

89720.jpg

Livery will be the Marlboro decal set from crazy modeler.

decals.jpg

I'm intending to do as much engine detail as possible on this build, So I have some various piping and connectors on order from Hiroboy,

here I've assembled the V-10 Honda engine block, couldn't resist picking out the Honda logo with some citadel chainmail silver though :)

enginelogo.jpg

the exhausts have had some masking tape added around the exhausts and initial allclad treatment - more work on these later

exhausts.jpg

Here is the Monocoque as it appears out of the box, i've drilled some small pilot holes for the cable connectors, these will be added as I run cables from the rear of the cockpit to the engine and sidepods. The majority of this part will be covered in Carbon fibre decals which I also have on order from hiroboy.

monocoque.jpg

Here is the seat out of the box -

seatinitial.jpg

the moulded on seat-belt looks a little crude and was dremmelled off , after a little sanding and prep it was ready for the Model hiro 5 point harness set, fairly straightforward to assemble, and a little fiddley in places, but the end result is worth it and is a distinct improvement :)

seat.jpg

Looking Nice Skii. Those belts really do make a difference don't they. I'll be interested to see how things go with the carbon fibre decals, I've been thinking about getting some as I have a number of F1 kits about. I had a close look at some of the F1 cars at MK on Sunday and getting the decals to sit around some of the suspension parts and other areas looks like it could be very interesting.

I've always had a soft spot for McLarens in the Marlboro livery (and they never, ever, made me want to smoke!). I think I've got an MP4/4 somewhere around...might have to take a look.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress now :popcorn:

Karl.

Looking Nice Skii. Those belts really do make a difference don't they. I'll be interested to see how things go with the carbon fibre decals, I've been thinking about getting some as I have a number of F1 kits about. I had a close look at some of the F1 cars at MK on Sunday and getting the decals to sit around some of the suspension parts and other areas looks like it could be very interesting.

Karl.

Hi Karl

The trick with CF decalling from what I gather is to do a panel at a time, using masking tape as a template. The CF arrived today so i'll post some progress up very soon :)

So - the decals settled nicely with a drop or 2 of Microsol. Quite an easy process, apply masking tape to monocoque - cut to shape with a sharp knife, carefully remove tape template and stick to rear of decal sheet, cut the shape out of the decal sheet, and apply.

carbonfibre1.jpg

Looking a bit silver here as the real monocoque was much darker, so it was dusted with thinned tamiya smoke, might need a little bit more yet, but its heading in the right direction :)

carbonfibresmoked.jpg

Also I've separated the front nosecone from the rest of the bodyshell - had to be careful here, just follow the panel line with a stanley blade until the two come apart, a razor saw would have come in useful here, but I got there in the end anyway :D

nosecut.jpg

Those carbon fibre decals really do look cool don't they! You've also made it seem very easy to do, I'll let you know whether it is or not when I get around to it :lol: ...

You're right about the 'silverness' of the CF though, it was definitely darker on the MP4/5's than that is. The smoke certainly does seem to go towards correcting it anyway. Incidently, which CF decal sheet did you buy? I know there are a few around and wondered which it was...

I think my next build is going to be a Camel Lotus 99T from '87... and that'll be a Senna one too!

Karl.

Incidently, which CF decal sheet did you buy? I know there are a few around and wondered which it was...

I think my next build is going to be a Camel Lotus 99T from '87... and that'll be a Senna one too!

Karl.

Hi karl - I'm using the crazy modeler sheet here

lots of styles available, admittedly I could have gone darker but its easy to darken yourself ! ;)

bit more work on the engine, the kit spark plug connectors are pretty poor bumps of featureless plastic,

enginelogo.jpg

So firstly a small hole was drilled into the rear of each bump to accept some small vinyl wiring, and I've cobbled some simple plastic card squares to form the connectors which were then glued on top, a small hole drilled into the top of each square to re-create the plastic moulding.

sparkplugs1.jpg

The wires are then all pushed into a short length of heat shrink, - here is a side I did earlier :winkgrin:

sparkplugs2.jpg

I'll fit a gold electrical connector to the other end of the heat shrink which will then be cabled to the various connectors on the monocoque :banghead:

bit more work on the engine, the kit spark plug connectors are pretty poor bumps of featureless plastic,

enginelogo.jpg

So firstly a small hole was drilled into the rear of each bump to accept some small vinyl wiring, and I've cobbled some simple plastic card squares to form the connectors which were then glued on top, a small hole drilled into the top of each square to re-create the plastic moulding.

sparkplugs1.jpg

The wires are then all pushed into a short length of heat shrink, - here is a side I did earlier :winkgrin:

sparkplugs2.jpg

I'll fit a gold electrical connector to the other end of the heat shrink which will then be cabled to the various connectors on the monocoque :banghead:

Hi John- actually the wires are loom cables- and they are going to the individual ignition coil packs- one positioned above each plug- but then you probly already knew that....

BTW yo did a great job on the carbon fibre decaling- I always found the stuff to be really brittle, and would rip and tear very easily

Edited by Mentalguru

Hi John- actually the wires are loom cables- and they are going to the individual ignition coil packs- one positioned above each plug- but then you probly already knew that....

doh - gawd i've replaced enough of them on my cars to know this :oops:

John

You are most certainly doing justice to my all time favorite race car drivers machine! Keep it up man!! I am loving the engine detail

Mike

This build is for you then matey ;)

righty then, the carbon fibre on the monocoque is mostly finished and decalled, a sprinkle of semi-gloss varnish seals the decals down to look almost painted on, brass tubing added to the front suspension springs damper heads as an improvement to the kit plastic.

I have some photoetch rivets winging their way across the pond as we speak to add that final touch of realism to the monocoque.

finalmonocoque.jpg

Here is the result of 2 days work on the bodyshell - the section below the airbox behind the drivers head and below the sidepods are seperate parts and not a perfect fit so a little filler ,CA and blending was needed.

Then the bodyshell had about 3 coats of halfords white primer which was then wet sanded with 1500 grit wet+dry until almost shiney - the trick here is to eliminate any sign of orange peel texture. Preparation is everything :D

bodyprimer.jpg

A bit of careful masking and the Zero paints go down, simply a joy to use these paints, but the mist coats do tend to build up a rough texture but a quick scrub of the whole body with some micromesh cloths ensure a nice smooth finish, don't worry about the extreme bottom edge as the is going to be painted black ;)

masked.jpg

bodyfirstpaint.jpg

John, that monocoque looks fantastic with the carbon fibre decals on it. You've made it look so easy!

The bodyshell looks a treat too, very nice paint job on it.

You've just given me a great idea as well. I noticed that your 'stand' that you're using for spraying the bodyshell is the inner part of a CD cake... never would have thought of using one of them!

I'm enjoying this build! :popcorn:

Karl.