SEAC Spitfire Mk VIII FINISHED

spitfire

Well while I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the P-47 I decided to have a go at this one, I bought the Paragon conversion years ago but have always shied away from cutting up the kit parts, but I may as well give it a go rather than letting them rot away in the loft.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
Replaced blurred Photobucket photos

OK the major surgery went OK (I hope), the only snag so far seems to be that the two halves of the resin nose are different lengths, a bit of cutting and sanding required.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

I've got several more conversions lurking in the loft as well Paragon Spitfire XII, IX, XIV bubble, Warbirds XIV, IX, plus the donor kits, plus I have a Paragon Typhoon 1b conversion (bubble) for the Revell Typhoon. Hopefully if this one goes well I'll pluck up the courage to have a go at the others.

Cheers

Den

• 1 month later...

Well the re scribing took longer than I thought it would plus the P-47's have been soaking up a lot of attention, but here is an update. The wings took up a lot of time, but the resin inserts worked great, superglue them inside the existing kit cannon bulges and then sand away, made a few mistakes on the re scribed panel lines but they look good to me now. With all the Spitfire reference books I had I thought it would be be easy but the Mk VIII seems a bit elusive, in the end I had to buy a set of plans (Warpaint series by Mark Rolfe), I don't think they are 100% but as I learned with the P-47's, pick your plan and stick to it.

Here's some photos

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Well just to bring things up to date, the re scribing is finished apart from the panel lines where the resin joins the plastic, got to figure something out for that one, most of the resin parts have been detached and cleaned up, this went very well. To enable me to get the prop right I drilled out the spinner and individual blades and inserted some plastic rod in the blades, not me being clever I copied it from a build I read somewhere else ! The cockpit turned out to be a generic Spitfire cockpit as I could not find photos nor illustrations for the Mk VIII, loads of Mk II, V and IX but no VIII, I did try to get the pilots notes for the VIII but they are out of stock, so I used the IX info. The cockpit uses Waldron placards, kit parts and some great RAF instrument decals from MDC, these went on a treat. And that's as far as it goes.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty neat that Paragon gives you what I had to do myself on the Mk IX that I'm reworking, namely the inserts in the cannon bulges, I used baking soda and CA glue to backfill the ones on mine. You'd need Edgar to tell you for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that the cockpits of the Mk VIII and Mk IX are identical. If I recall correctly the Mk VIII was to have all these mdifications to it, to improve it over the Mk V, but the RAF was having a bad time with the Fw-190 and couldn't wait for the MkVIII, so the Mk IX was quickly brought out with only the most important mods done to it. Thta's why the Mk VIII has a retractable tailwheel and why it entered service after the Mk IX, as I understand it.

Still plodding on, re scribed a couple of lines on the wings, drilled out for the cannon stubs and fitted the cannon bulges, unless I see something else the wings are basically finished now apart from the cannon barrels. The fuselage halves have been closed, and the bottom of the nose fitted, this was fun as it is a different shape to the sides, I had to clamp the fuselage sides together to get it to fit, this will give me a problem fitting the wings (big gaps), but it's coming on.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

I'd be too scared to cut sections away and replace with resin! :undecided:

Same here!!!!!!!!! I take my hat off to you Den, its coming along really well.

Thanks for the kind words guys, the way I look at it is that if I mess up and it goes in the bin I'm no worse off than if I had left it in the loft, and in the end I may have a nice Spitfire VIII.

Cheers

Den

Well all the fuselage seams (and the nose) have been sanded smooth, panel lines re instated and the wings attached, clamping in the nose sides to make the underside of the nose fit has left a big gap in the wing/fuselage joint which I will have to fill with plastic card and superglue, I'll probably mess up the dihedral doing that but never mind, as long as it looks like a Spitfire VIII I'll be happy.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

Well the wing joints have been filled, I made sure that the filling was a loose fit so that it did not push the wings down, the "tail feathers" have been attached and the air inlet fitted. The latter took a lot of work as it had a great big casting block which had to be whittled away, luckily I found a dandy curved blade to scoop it out. Now that all the big bits are assembled I'll get back to the P-47.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

Looking very clean so far, and nice to see the old hasegawa kit being built in any guise!

I love the look of the Mk VIII as well- the retractable tail wheel does wonders for the spit.

one question though, (I might have missed this in an earlier post) - are you sure the MkVIII had the headrest? I thought these went with the MK IX and subsequent marques.

Keep up the good work,

Troffa

Yes I'm pretty sure that the MkVIII did not have the headrest, still deliberating if a razor saw moment is due ! The conversion kit did not include any cockpit parts and I could not find Mk VIII interior photos, so the cockpit is a lash up of Mk V, IX Waldron placards and MDC instrument dial decals.

Cheers

Den