Tamiya Williams FW24

Grant

Count me in with this little beauty (unless the mods think it is too far on).

pic_1.jpg

Started this last year, but stalled very soon after (BM's first GB got in the way) and since then I haven't touched it.

The previous build thread is here and this weekend I have dusted it of and rubbed down all the filled sink marks.

cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress (of a sort). Here we go with the good bits and the bad bits. All comments and advice welcome.

First up the nose cone. I hate white paint!!. AND the square decal is supposed to be on the inside of the upright - Doh!

There are 10 decals on it (almost as many on my Vulcan for heavens sake).

pic_6.jpg

Top side of rear wing elements, mostly OK. Screwed up the gold heat shield on the left side (right side in pic). CF decals so fine that it ripped when I tried to correct. So when the second lot of CF decals arrives I will try and get that bit right.

pic_7.jpg

Underside of rear wing elements. Pretty good. A few chips on the CF but easily sorted (and little seen)

pic_8.jpg

Front wing elements. Endplates turned out fine, but the CF decal on the underside of the wing is a nightmare. Second attempt was much better than the first, but managed to tear it - so more CF decal required.

pic_9.jpg

And finally tonight, ending on a high. Here is the tub, with a good coat of white paint - Wahoo!

pic_10.jpg

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! Very fiddly decaling. I find myself holding my breath a lot while I do all the positioning and I end up really tired :blink: so this is taking some time, but it is definitely worth it.

Who'd of thought that you needed to be fit to make models! Anyway ...

Here is the port side ducting.

pic_11.jpg

And the almost finished floor tray

pic_12.jpg

cheers

Grant

looking great up to now grant.

'without a doubt one of the most attractive recent f1 cars..'

just wish someone would do a mainstream kit of Hill's 1996 Williams...

looking great up to now grant.

'without a doubt one of the most attractive recent f1 cars..'

just wish someone would do a mainstream kit of Hill's 1996 Williams...

So do I. I bought an expensive 1/20 resin kerbside one, but I'd like a couple more, especially one with engine detail

• 2 weeks later...

Nah. Just bonkers Sean.

Finally the engine is finished. I had worried that the integrally molded spring-damper units would look really naff. But when I painted them up I thought they looked fine. So here is the fully dressed engine.

pic_13.jpg

pic_14.jpg

Now to get back to the bodywork, which now has blue paint on it and is waiting a mega decaling session.

cheers

Grant

So do I. I bought an expensive 1/20 resin kerbside one, but I'd like a couple more, especially one with engine detail

seen the Hiro FW16?

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_inf...roducts_id=1129

looks absolutely stunning, but at £130 a pop, as I said on another thread, I'd want to make sure I could do it justice before laying out for it.

Grant, that's looking rather nice now isn't it!

The carbon fibre decalling looks fantastic, and you've made a damned good job of it too. It's something I've not really tried yet, but would imagine would be a real pain at times. Well worth it though for those kind of results.

Engine and suspension looks cool too! Great work!

Karl.

This weeks effort. I decided to do the whole front suspension in CF decal. I think that meant I cut out about 24 bits of decal to cover all the arms. Worth it though.

pic_15.jpg

Now to tackle those silver strip decals, and hopefully find out all the painting lines up.

cheers

Grant

Looking fantastic Grant, you've got the C/F decalling perfected I see! The rear shocks look very convincing and if you hadn't said they were molded then I'm sure nobody would notice the difference.

Keep em coming.

Doc

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more progress!

Blue painting is done and I am well into the decalling.

Here is the tub and the wheels. Alclad dark aluminium for the wheels.

pic_16.jpg

Lots more CF decal for the rear of the tub - some of which will get seen.

pic_17.jpg

And because the top cover comes off, loads more CF decal on this too!!

pic_18.jpg

The end is in site.

cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got all the decals stuck on the outside of the rear cover.

I guess it is time I started putting this puppy together.

pic_19.jpg

Discussing setting up this, and subsequent shots, it was suggested that I ought to get a couple of Lego mechanics to come in and put it together :lol: , but no, that is a step or three too far!

cheers

Grant