As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'second build'.
Found 2 results
First off let me explain that this is only my second ever build ( knocked a few Airfix kits up as a kid but nothing more ) and also my first time with an airbrush. It's basically a massive learning curve for me and now and again ( well most of the time really ) the voice reverberating around my head is that I've bitten off more than I can chew. Not the easiest of model kits for a beginner either, but I love the C9, it's just a beautiful car. So... I'm giving it a bloody good go. I'm two weeks in and this is where I'm at so far. So be gentle. First off my disastrous first attempt at the bodywork. I basically scrapped this; it was crap. Mainly due to the fact I used Plasti-kote and it looked horrid. So instead of de-motivating myself trying to sand it all back and start again I bought a new body from The Hobby company limited who happened to have one sitting on their shelves. Cost me £7, so a bargain really. As you can see I'm cutting out the door so you can view the interior. I'll find a way of mounting the door later ( cross that bridge as it's falling down and all that ) So yeah, that one is scrapped. My second attempt I'm a lot happier with. I'll be clear coating this at a later date ( hopefully ) for now they sit in dust free bags. OK, so my first real outing with the airbrush. I'm kinda picking up the philosophy of these things ( technique, cleaning, mixing, thinning, various paint types etc. etc. ) First attempts were not too bad ( you say that ) but I'm definitely picking it up now. Masking. I mean, damn, masking! Lots and lots of masking. Worth it though: Engine block is Alclad ( white aluminium, dark aluminium ) gearbox is Alclad Exhaust manifold ( I kinda like the colour ) FTR I'm not going for any historical accuracy here, I'm just having a go, And various turbos and intercoolers Turbo up close Brake ducts etc. And brake callipers And rear suspension arms So yeah, been spending a lot of time spraying tiny parts. And then I decided it would a good idea to have a go with some of the photo etched parts I bought. I mean, talk about tiny and fiddly. I've never worked on this scale in my life. In my day job ( live sound engineer ) I'm used to working on this scale And now I'm having to work on this scale It's like being a damn surgeon. Bending these parts can have you tearing your hair out. And then some. Anyway, I digress... So, my first attempt were the brake discs which consisted of like, 15 different disks for each brake; just lining them up was an epic challenge in itself. I'm definitely working though a lot of challenges with this model. Came out OK though, need to clean a bit of the glue from them though. And then there were the wing struts and rear space frame. I gave in on trying to use the provided pins for these, I can't even see them never mind insert them ( maybe a little while down the road, but I don't have a technique and/or precision eyesight for this just yet ) I instead turned to the trusty superglue. Probably not going to use that space frame though, It just doesn't fit properly ( no idea who measured these photo etched parts, they got it way wrong ) I'll instead use the Tamiya plastic part. I'll use the wing struts though. So yeah, photo etched parts. Can't wait to start on the racing harness Onwards and upwards. Also decided to replace the plastic springs and shocks and made my own. I'm a vaper, so working with wire this small is not too bad as I coil my own e-cigs. So parts are coming together nicely. Also had a go at some carbon and kevlar decals. Not too bad on the cockpit sidepods. Started life like this: And this thing I'm loving: the engine cover. Started like this. Ended up like this: I'm quite proud of this tiny little fella too : I've discovered it's a bit like wrapping a Christmas present with this stuff. Just cut it all first so you can fold it into the part, cover in microset and leave for 20 mins and it all shrinks in. bit more microset on a fine brush to flatten it all down and then just leave it to do its thing. Rear body work ( for next time I understand the importance of sanding off every bit of injection mould imperfection. They really show here. Wheels too. I'm going to recreate the locking pins using tiny fishing hooks that I've cut the barbs from and just kept the eyes. It's definitely becoming about what I can use above and beyond the scope of the model kit: Also pre-silvered some connectors as I will be attempting the plumbing on this thing And that's pretty much where I'm at right now, two weeks of relentless joy. I'll update as I go along. Thanks for looking at my first feeble attempts.