Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'plank on frame'.
Found 3 results
Finally, I've got some time to start the post on my next scratch build, a 1:48th scale Denny SGB, actually S304 Grey Fox, IWM picture below, at 145ft, the model will be ~36 inches long in old money. Warning, I expect this build to take a year or so. This time I really will try to make everything (apart from the split-pin stanchions), but some complex components will be 3d printed, though to my own drawings. I'm also going to have a go at the propellers, printed in wax and then cast, may as well go for it... My aim is to produce full drawings, components and etchings so others could build the same model if they wish. I will document it all here, mistakes and all I have two professional plans, one available on line by G Stone in 1:48th scale and one from model shipwright no 87 (March 1994) But as I do with all major builds, I also contacted the maritime Museum in Greenwich (actually the old brass foundry in Woolwich) who have the archive of all naval vessels since the 18th century. They claim to have an example of every type that served in the navy and they have a number of drawings of SGB's. I chose three drawings of SGB303 (the sister of S304), which include the GA and the shell expansion, a vital piece of the puzzle for plated models. At 36 inches long, the model is too large for my block infill so I'm going to plank it on frames and then plate the outside with aluminium sheet to the shell expansion drawing, rivets included. Shell expansions show stuff other drawings omit, like the water intake and outlet for instance. A section of the drawing is shown below and on it you can see the inlet is rectangular and on the centre line, I've not seen that detail before. This section also shows the layout of the outlet with the doubler plate etc. In other parts of the drawing is it clear that the portholes on port and starboard where not in the same place, again, where else could you find that sort of detail? From a scan of the lines (actually from the model shipwright drawing which looks a higher quality piece of work) I prepared a cutting drawing of the keel and frames. The frames have been set back by 2mm to allow for the planking. The keel is 5mm ply but the stem and the docking keel will be made of brass, inset in the ply as the former is sharp and the latter much thinner than the ply (poor quality copy below I started yesterday by cutting out the keel and setting in the brass, seen below on a temporary building board to keep everything straight. Keeping hulls straight is a real challenge as the planking can frames can easily end up twisted (I know this from experience) so I make a lot of fuss at this stage, sometimes it pays off... The hull will have a large slot in the deck for the deck-house. I'm not going to build a working model, but this could easily be done and then the slot would allow access to the motors battery etc. For me is helps to keep the deck house separate until very late in the build, then is will just slot in The frames were printed and mounted to 3 mm ply for cutting out Much later today... More timber to keep things straight. I've had to slot the build board as the boat does not have an exposed keel apart from the small docking keel at the back. I'll be planking it upside down, more detail later. The platform at the back holds the alignment holes for the rudders, you can also see the holes for the prop shafts (5" dia) After much fettling, I glued it up, tape is holding everything straight (I have a phobia about straightness....) So, we're off and running, sheer strakes going in tomorrow
Today, I spent some time on my build of The Endeavour, the ship commanded by Cook on the first of his 3 major voyages. The first voyage was when he charted large parts of the Australian east coast. I commenced this build a couple of years ago, before I joined BM, hence we start this thread with the model part built. Today is the first time that I’ve touched the model for more than twelve months, there’s various reasons for that, not least of which was when some of the 1st layer of planking sprung off the frames, probably due to the Queensland heat and humidity, and I lost a bit of interest. So, having just finished a couple of Tamiya motorbike kits I thought that it was time to get back to the ship. My wooden ship building speed isn’t prolific (not that you can rush these things!!), my first ship (The Mercury, which is on the forum in the “Ready for Inspection” section) took me twelve years. So this thread will be quite intermittent but hopefully entertaining. I decided to build the model “out of the box” although from what I’ve managed to uncover the Endeavour never had any guns below deck, which the kit will have. The kit comes from the Italian company, Corel, and so far I’m happy with the contents and build. I was warned that the “bluff” bow would be a challenge and it has turned out to be a lot harder than that on The Mercury. So on with a few pictures, the first being the obligatory box and then a close-up of (hopefully) what the finished model will look like. Then we have two similar pictures showing a plank in the process of glueing into position. Any comments, questions and constructive criticisms are very welcome.