Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Yet another one'.
Found 2 results
I don't 'do' New Year so as well as getting on with existing models I started another which I also hope will be easy enough for me to finish in a reasonable timescale. The quite nice Eduard 1/48 Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat. It's the Weekend Edition kit which I bought for £7 but it does need some add-ons so I ended up getting the Eduard Zoom set to go with it, and a set of Montex masks. Looking at some photographs, the kit and Ultracast's Hellcat seats, I decided the kit wasn't really good enough and raided the stock room as is the whole point of running a model-related business The bulkhead needs cut up for the photo etched improvements behind the headrest (the basic kit omits the rear view windows, for example) and the big block moulded in place of the tubular structure correctly depicted by Ultracast has to go too so there wouldn't be much of the kit bulkhead left. Hence, I used it as a pattern and zipped my Olfa cutter round it to get a new one from plasticard Here you go DuncanB - that's what the -3's rear windows are there for. The pilot should be able to see through them over his shoulder but every kit I remember seeing or building of the Hellcat neglects to include these. So far, I've removed the moulded side console detail and glued on the foldy-uppy PE parts so I could shoot some Colourcoats ACUS09 ANA611 Interior Green prior to sticking on the pre-coloured brass bits, paint the seat belts and do some of that arty stuff to bring out some details. Now it's green, this is what the seat and new bulkhead are going to look like, which I personally feel is a vast improvement on the alternative. To be fair to Eduard, the Zoom set does include a fold-up seat which is better than the plastic one, but the seat mounts are still over simplified for my tastes here.
Recent arthritic finger problems have had an impact on modelling and many other things of late. They sometimes seize up or grip just goes occasionally without warning. Anything that has been attempted of late has ended in disaster. A recent Swordfish which took a while and was ready for rigging fell from my grasp with nasty results. So after laying off any builds I had a go at this one which again took longer than what most people can do. Just a build to keep the mojo going and trying not to let the finger problems get the better of me. Upper surfaces was a bit of my own mix as well as the lowers (FS police won't stop me sleeping at night). Had a bit of a paint reaction on the underside for some reason but hopefully the patch up is hardly noticeable. It also crept onto the upper so the trailing edge of the starboard wing looks a little paler than the rest. Canopy framing looks better in the flesh. I have a spare so may replace this later. (Actually just noticed in the phots I've left some slivers of masking tape in places). Anyway, here it is.