Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'X-3'.
Found 4 results
A new 1/72nd Douglas X-3 Stiletto kit by AZmodel - ref. AZ7597 & AZ7598 Box art by talentuous Czech illustrator Zdenek Macháček (link) Source: https://www.facebook.com/208070375871052/photos/a.208144655863624/2115883318423072/?type=3&theater V.P.
This is my 1/72 AZ Model's Douglas X-3 Stiletto. This is another kit that is not for the faint of heart or the easily discouraged and for more details on my trials and tribulations you can see my WIP entry at To summarize nothing that is supposed to go into the fuselage interior will fit and nothing on the right side of the fuselage lines up with the corresponding thing on left side. Including the canopy which is one piece. But it still built fairly quickly and I am happy with the outcome. So on to the pictures I am not sure why the canopy appears so cloudy in the pictures. It is not like that in real life. Here is a better view that also shows the small slit intakes I added ahead or the primary intakes; Next up is the newly remastered Anigrand Douglas XF5D-1 Enjoy
I don't usually do WIPs, but since this is a new kit and it has received some negative reviews: http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/douglas-x-3-stiletto-im-massstab-172-von-az-model-az-7597/#more-41416 I thought I would do one so that those are interested can see my trials and tribulations. First the sprues of which there are 2: Just ignore the Sidewinders, they are for a what-if boxing. There isn't a lot of flash but there is some and it is in awkward locations, like the slot for the wings Next the transparency, which is...transparent: Decals, which look really good: Finally the instructions, they are simple and some placement is vague but they are adequate Following the instructions I assembled the cockpit, main wheel well and engine exhausts. Then I tried a dry fit, and nothing fit inside the fuselage. Not the wheel well This is after I had already done some sanding. Not the cockpit And not the exhausts, which I didn't get a picture of. So out came the grinding tool and sanding sticks. In order to get the exhausts to fit I had to do major sanding to them and some grinding of the fuselage. They are mostly hidden so it isn't too bad. So after that I was able to button it all up; The wings are just stuck in place and not glued, They are going to need some more work before they fit correctly. The canopy fit is OK, but there are gaps that will need to be filled That's it for now. Next will be seam filling on the fuselage and then attaching the wings. That will be in a couple days since I have another project to finish first. Thanks for looking.
I'm posting this picture as a humorous response to Corsairfoxfouruncle, who stated over in SimonL's 1.72 Tamiya Bell X-1 WIP that " id like to see any X-planes as they're a Favorite of mine", something to help his day along. These are all various 1/72 kits, from plastic to resin to vacuform, and represent only a few of mine which happen to be grouped together in the display case. They are also a favorite of mine! Missing from this group is the Douglas D-558 II, which I have yet to build, but hoprfully will accomplish this year. Ed