Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Welly reboot'.
Found 1 result
Hi all, back again. This time it's a test shot of the soon to be released Airfix Wimpy Mk 1A/C which was finished for last months Airfix Model World magazine. It's a great little kit packed with detail allowing you to build either the Mk 1A or C versions. The interior is amazingly well-detailed and includes just about everything plus the proverbial kitchen sink, (well OK, Elsan), all bulkheads, flooring, nav table, radio equipment, packed bomb bay with open doors, well-appointed cockpit and superb FN gun turrets. The geodetic structures are also nicely rendered particularly on the wings and tail fin....nicely restrained and very convincing. Another great option is to have the cockpit side windows open to show off the lovely detail in there. You can also build the later Mk1C with the painted over long fuselage windows and waist gunners glazing plus guns though the instructions don't mention this with this particular release. As usual with pre-production kits, no decals or box was included so the editor kindly sent me the superb DK Decals No 311 Czechoslovak squadron, RAF set which was used to represent the second iteration of the well-known Broughton Wellington, R1516 after the original R1333 sadly crashed. Before anybody mentions it I'm aware I made a boo-boo with the fuselage codes in the magazine article.....blame Darling who was frantically distracting me with his fly collection at the time. I managed to reverse the codes on the right side so that they read XK-U instead of KX-U. In fact, it was David Hannant who let me know my unforgivable faux-pas, seemed to be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. It was quickly corrected but not before the article was published...Darling suffered badly for this I can assure you. Actually, note to self...''Regarding codes, if you're going to cut them out individually to get rid of the carrier film...then kindly put them back in the right order!'' I've made a few other changes too including adding the black rings to the fuselage roundels, (used by 311 to black out the white portions of the roundel) and removal of the tail-wheel doors, a mod that was carried out from the late Mk 1A's on. A few quick notes on the build: Replaced the solid trim tab activator on the left side of the rudder with lead wire as I didn't much care for the solid moulding. The counter balances were also replaced using plastic rod. Seatbelts fabricated from lead foil, instrument panel, Aeroscale dials. Camo colours...Mr.Hobby H333 Dark Earth, H73 Dark Green, (mixed using a small amount of H304 Olive Drab to enliven the green) and undersides Mission Models MMP-305 NATO Black mixed with a small amount of MMP-040 Tire Black. Lots of light and dark grey pastel powders used on the exhaust staining and wing/fuselage undersides, (various panels lightened using base colours and Tamiya XF-2 Flat White). AMMO MIG Pastels and Abteilung oil washes to the upper surfaces. Uschi 'Fine' for the aerial wires. They must trust me with the kit as Airfix kindly sent me another to build for their trade stand at Telford this year. This time it'll be finished using the kit decals. Anyhoo you should all go out and buy one......at least! Thanks for looking and hope like it, Melchie