Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Valom 1/72'.
Found 4 results
Hi comrades! My next build is Vickers Wellesley from start of WWII in Africa (from the boxart). The build will be OOB with some scratch additions. So far, I opened 4 windows in forward fuselage. Also I'm planning to enhance the wheel wells and the pilot headrest - those areas are oversimplified in the kit. So, any informative images will be of great help. Unfortunately, in the Warpaint book on Wellesley those areas are not described... Also, any building tips or known inaccuracies of the kit will be of great help. Thanks in advance ! Thanks for looking!
Well, I finally started to cut and fill plastic on the the Valom 1/72 D.H. 91 Albatros kit yesterday. My intention is to build it as one of the two mailplanes used by the RAF, in this case B-JW (earlier as one of the prototypes, E.3). At first, I thought this airframe would still have the split flaps of the two mailplanes (E.3 and G-AEVV) even after its partial reconstruction following a broken back accident that involved reconfiguration of the rear wing fillets to the airliner form. Now, I'm not so sure after peering at the various in-flight photos of B-JW. There is a hint of a change in tone of the upper surface colours where there could be a slotted flap, and the underside view shows the flap with five hinge points. Does anyone know, or have an opinion about whether these are the original split form or the later slotted version? I'll get some photos posted up at some point soon. Cheers, GrahamB
Start of a build of a kit from a new to me company Valom from the Czech Republic. Its a short run low pressure injection moulded kit which I think means the moulds are made from a metal other than the tool steel used by the big companies. I have never built a short run kit before and I admit I was a bit worried about what I would get in the box but with the encouragement of a few other modellers particulary General Melchett I took the plunge and ordered from Oxonian Plastics. IMG_20191207_150202911 by Stuart, on Flickr When I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised there is not a lot of flash and a quick measure up showed the fuselage and wing sections are almost an exact match that wont take much filing and fitting. The engine castings are resin mouldings and are a lovely model of the original Bristol Peggy engines. IMG_20191207_150104996 by Stuart, on Flickr IMG_20191208_200037757 by Stuart, on Flickr I am not bothered by cockpit detail I will never see again so its just the bare basics IMG_20191208_200109689 by Stuart, on Flickr I decided to add push-rod tubes made from 0.45 brass wire, one of those little jobs you begin to regret about an hour in. IMG_20191211_164021687 by Stuart, on Flickr I decided to have a break from tiny bits and cut out the fuselage window holes fitted to the Sparrow and fit the glazing. The fuselage moulding is pretty thick and the plastic is a soft grade that doesnt cut very easily cutting the slots took a lot of time and the glazing was a bit crap. IMG_20191211_164040932 by Stuart, on Flickr
Reasonably happy with the way this one has turned out, black does hide a multitude of sins :-). This aircraft was used on the "Mutton" operations to drop LAMs (Long Aerial Mines) on the German bomber streams. (http://codenames.info/operation/mutton-i/) The kit itself goes together very well (not like their Hampden!) the only problem really is the brittle plastic which makes the wheel struts a nightmare to work with. If I had any I would have replaced it with some aerofoil strut. The real aircraft probably did not carry any guns in the turrets, but I left mine in. The decals are rather resistant to setting agents. I had to reduce the size of the mouth, its far to long. Even now it is still to long, it should stop before the eyes in the one photo I have seen of the aircraft. I replaced the markings on the fins as the kit ones were far to big. Comments/questions welcome. Tim