As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'VNAF'.
Found 2 results
Hi modellers, few days ago I’ve started a new entry to my Vietnam War aircraft collection. It was the De Havilland RU-6A Beaver in VNAF colors. In the early 1960s, the Electronics Warfare Laboratory developed airborne radio direction finding (ARDF) electronic gear and installed it in three de Havilland U-6A Beavers, re-designating them RU-6As. Apparently no special code names were applied to those aircraft at the time. Assigned to the Vietnam Flight Detachment of the 3rd Radio Research Unit in March 1962, those three aircraft became the first Army reconnaissance airplanes in Vietnam. Time later a group of ARDF Beavers went to the Mekong Delta in 1964. Sometime before 1966, three RU-6A aircraft equipped with standard U.S. Army ARDF equipment were given to the South Vietnamese Air Force. Those systems worked so well that more Beavers and U-8Ds were converted under the ‘R’ version, incorporating AN/ARD-15 surveillance equipment for Vietnam service. Example 51-16862 /mM available on decal sheet was delivered to US Army on January 1953 as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962. Later converted to RU-6A. Then this aircraft was given to VNAF, served with 33rd TW (tail code mM), 716th Rec. Sqn. AF. It had the earlier style airborne direction finding equipment (with Collins R-390 radios) instead the newer AN/ARD-15 system that the U.S. used for their RU-6As. (photo credit: http://www.dhc-2.com) Kit is the rather basic Hobbycraft in 1/48 scale but it is a good point to start, a sort of blank canvas… As my usual, I love to show my models fully opened, so that first step was to separate front/back doors from the clear fuselage and replace them by styrene. According a lot of pictures taken in http://www.dhc-2.com website, I was quite sure that cockpit floor was wrong. Much better to replace it by styrene too… Instrumental panel next to come… (photo credit: http://www.dhc-2.com) Ciao, Alex Rome
So this arrived all the way from ‘the old country’ this afternoon: Even with the postage it’s still cheaper to have the thing delivered from the UK, than buy it across the counter here in NZ (even if you can find one !!). As this is written I’ve only had a cursory glance at the contents of the (end opening) box, and surprisingly it isn’t the neatly packaged bits of plastic that made my jaw drop, it was the superbly presented, stapled, 32 page instruction manual. The 12 steps are individually drawn in large A4 LANDSCAPE format, one step per page and so explicit that even a serial styrene mangler like me has no excuse for scr*w*ng-up the construction. Ahh but that only takes me to the centre-page. The following 16 pages are the paint/decal options !! – That’s 16, count them, 16 options, 3 USAF, 3 RCAF, 2 Klu, 2 RNoAF, 5 HAF and bringing-up the rear the sole VNAF machine…. So here’s a wee clue as to what I’m planning for mine: I know that the Vietnamese machines had scabbed-on appliqué armour on the undersides protecting the engines and it shouldn’t be too difficult to fabricate these out of plastic sheet. There’s a good series of reference photos over on ARC (I think), which I’ll be using very soon. But other than this and a change in loadout, and maybe a replacement resin seat this will be almost straight from the box. Won’t be starting for a couple of weeks, after the RF-4, Harrier and StuG have cleared the bench, but I have to admit, the thought of starting this wee project does give me a very definite ‘buzz’ Updates ‘as-and-when’ AFN Ian