As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Sea Harrier frs.1'.
Found 2 results
Dug this out of the stash, with the intention of a fairly quick and easy winter build. How wrong I was, this is a pig of a kit and after reading all the various build threads, decided it was not going to beat me !! First of all, purchased the Pavla Sea Harrier intakes and nozzles ( £6) and although designed for the airfix kit, they just about fit but as you can see, took a lot of filler and sanding. No detail for the empty front wheel bay but this will be sorted later and the same goes for the rear however as someone pointed out, the main undercarraige doors can be shut on the real thing, when the wheels are down. This is a preffered option for me !!. I also elected to paint up the Pegasus, as the kit shows that you can have a removable panel, in order to display it. Fit of this panel was awful, so I closed it up and added yet more weight with some filler. The kit cockpit and seat are basic, so I just added bits n bobs from my spares box to give an impression of a Martin Baker seat. The pilot will be getting added at the end ( again after some serious cosmetic work ) Aden cannon fitted by eye, as there are no locating marks at all. Canopy tacked on meantime and masked and the sanding has begun before first coat of primer. First coat of primer added and shows up what work is required still, with regards any sort of detailing and or panel lines. As of today, this is where I am at. Spent ages sanding and still some small problem areas to work on but this model has given me the chance to try out a new tool. The Tamiya rescriber in the background has been used for the first time and is very sharp and cuts through the plastic easily ( sometimes too easily ). Getting the hang of it but this is not an easy model to scribe, for a beginer, due to my lack of experience and the complex curves of the model. It has been a case of mark carefully once, scribe once, muck it up and apply more filler and start again. Still ..... keeps me occupied The panel lines are not accurate but neither is this model. That's it for now, all the best and happy modelling ...
So this build was more emotional than trying to make a great model. I even remember a little squabble with my older brother over this kit as kids. Back in the early 80s this was the second kit I ever built. Revisiting this kit now I just wanted to do a decent job of building it again the way the younger me could not. I tried my best to stay true to a straight OOB build including the decals. The underside of the fuselage however is just too bare and I added bits and bobs from the spares box - mainly leftovers from Airfix and Italeri SHAR builds. Enjoy and comments are always welcome Paints are all Tamiya. I also took a picture of it next to my last Airfix SHAR build to compare experimenting with Tamiya field blue for this build vs gunship grey used on the Airfix. I added the Aden gun pods (Airfix) from the spares box as the underside was too bare and the strakes made it look more so. And one with the Airfix Thank you for looking