Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'SMER Macci MC.72'.
Found 1 result
Hi, this is what I like to build in this GB in the first place: The Macci MC.72 from SMER (a smal edit: I have this instash for years and picked it up for around 5 GBP if I am not completely mistaken Hannants still lists it for 5.99) . The kit is not really 1:48 - it is reported to be 1:50 which is also not quite correct. I did a review on ipmsairrace.org. Below is a summary of this review to show what I am after in this GB: The box contains a quite limited number of plastic parts (17 only) and a notable amount of flash - of which I removed a lot already. The panel lines are engraved but a bit on the thick and shallow side. The corrugated cooling areas are replicated with thin raised lines. The Plastic parts are a bit thick, which is especially notable on the fuselage halves. There is no cockpit detail (I did start to grind the interior to thin the fuselage) and no beaching trolley. The whole thing looks very short run. I have not tried the decals yet but they look thin, sharp and in register. They are printed by "Propagteam" and I think they will be the best of the kit As can be seen from the pictures the fitting is so so. Filler and sanding will be needed. It has been reported that the Smer kit of the MC 72 is in fact 1:50 scale. I suppose the given dimensions in the instructions are correct: Length 8,34 m and span 9,48 m. This translates in 1:48 to length 17,6 cm and span 17,75 cm. The model however is only about 16,3 cm long and has a span of 19,0 cm. So it is close to 1:50 - not 1:48 I digged out some MC 72 drawings from Harry Crusoe (? - need to check the spelling) as the Charles Mendenhall drawings have not the best reputation I heared. The drawings are 1:48 scale and as mentioned above the Smer Kit is 1:50. Some points which I saw when comparing the kit to the drawings: 1. The panel lines of the fuselage engine section have some discrepancies: 2. The exhaust area is bigger on the kit. 3. The cockpit opening is deeper on the kit. 4. The vertical tail has a slightly different shape. 5. The floats seem to be close to 1:48 scale, so they are too long for the rest of the kit. 6. The drawing shown more voluminous float than are represented in the kit. 7. The cooling areas on the top wing is wrong:The "dural panel" where the wireing is should not be there: The cooling area is not interupted on the top. It also extends further to the trailing edge than in the kit. 8. The wireing location is different in the kit than shown in the plans. 9. The horizontal tail has a very different shape in the kit. I intend to correct the points above and hope it will be not so much more work to blow the kit up to 1-48 scale to end this within the GB timeline. The wings must be extended at the tips only, the floats are almost there, the fuselage can be cut up in a few areas and shimmed to the correct dimension. Vertical needs reshapeing anyway and horizontals too (if the drawings are correct of course). Meanwhile I have some drawings from Castoldi provided by another SIG member (Thanks Axel!) which should be pretty accurate. But I still need to compare these with everything above to see if my above conclusions are correct... So: No after market stuff but lots of correction and scratch build details. I will do another build in this GB as some kind of back-up for the case I fail with my MC.72 (I will give my best as I am eagerly awaiting this build). Back up will be Testors S.6B - what else... René