Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'SAbre 4'.
Found 2 results
This project was started in May 2018, just over a year ago! Those that have followed the build thread will know it well, and the sorry story that happened around November last year. It was declared "finished" ready for Telford 2018 and indeed took part in its original form. On returning from Telford, I decided to refine the model by the addition of some subtle pin washes to accentuate some of the NMF panel detail. The idea was fine, but the execution was a big blunder. Me, the reasonably experienced modeller managed to completely ruin around 40% of the rather neat looking Alclad finish by not properly sealing it with Acrylic varnish, and then using an oil/enamel based pin wash. The result upon clean off was large parts of the Alclad finish being wiped away! Well, since that time, I have threatened the model with the dustbin, sworn at it, vowed never to build another NMF aircraft, and certainly never another sabre. Between those moments I have spent some background time carefully cleaning up and restoring many of the damaged panels. The result is declared finally finished. The model is the Airfix Sabre with modified positioning of wing fences and pylons, and a totally scratch built cockpit interior. I chose an early RAF Sabre 4 as it would have appeared after the early delivery flights with the red conspicuity markings applied for the occasion. Alclad shades were used to give differing panel effects and the red used was Xtracrylics RAF Red Arrows Red with a touch of a deeper red. Much technical assistance came from @Sabrejet and @Tony Edmundson plus others on here too numerous to mention. Also very grateful to @Courageous, @perdu, @Martian Hale, @TheBaron, @RidgeRunner, @opus999 and many more who encouraged me to press on when the disaster happened! Original RFI is here, for those who like to see a long build with a nightmare towards the end! Thank you all. A few close up shots, which can be a bit cruel on the modeller! This one shows just some of Airfix's magnificent stencilling decals. And finally, she is in good company. A head to head shot each with an Avon Sabre and an F-86H And all three together: Other projects to crack on with now, but there will be another Sabre build quite soon. Thanks for looking Terry
Hi all, After some stop-start work on her, I finally finished my latest Sabre. As you can see, she is depicted as a Sabre 4 of the Fuerza Aerea Hondurena. The based kit is Fujimi which I have modified in a simple way by removing the top fuselage intake, deleting a few of the odd access points and adding (by cheating with a decal) the small inlet on the fuselage sides. She was simple to build as always. The paints are Humbrol standard 116/117/118/28. I included a Pavla cockpit set but with the MB Mk10 seat that they used. The decals are a mix of Aztec (triangle and flag) and home printing (serials and weapons block). They didn't have any stencils, to my amazement, so nothing else was added. She was finished in Matt Cote after a dirty up with some Flory. I hope you like her. oh, and I just realised that I haven't installed the jet pipe!! Martin