Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Roland CII'.
Found 4 results
Hi Guys, as it's sunday and I'm quite lazy, I wanted to tinker around a bit on some models (as we all love to do on sundays), while not are involved in something too overly complicated (cause I'm lazy) and therefore thought of installing the Gaspatch Parabellum 14 I bought on the Eduard/Revell Roland I finished so far some weeks ago. I just wanted to mount the gun for the gunner/observer, mainly because I find this hump on the upper wing simply drop dead ugly and as I've seen it in various combination of guns mounted or not - well, it's like that. But while testfitting with some bluetac I found the Parabellum extremely large, letting the gunner almost no space to sit behind. Could this be correct, being so large? On pictures on box art, etc., it usually looks smaller, but I've found no real picture where one can tell. I've also checked if Gaspatch packed a 1/32 erroneously, but a brief measurement proof it's correct. So I thought that maybe a Spandau lMG, which is quite shorter, could be correct? But honestly, I've got no idea. What do you think? Input is welcome... Thanks, Guenther
Hiya, all. It seems like Casa del Softscience, winter is the season of biplane building (and discontent - there is ALWAYS discontent). I've already pulled all the biplane boxes from the attic (that's a loft to you UKasians) and may or may not have added two new purchases (I did, I totally did) to the multiwinged stash. I decided to start off with the simplest one in the collection - Eduard's 1/48 Roland C.II. This attractive little two-seater features a cigar-shaped fuselage, with all four wings mounted directly into the fuselage sides. This means simple strut work. And if anyone of you thinks that biplanes are hard because of rigging, then you're 1000% wrong. They're hard because lining up the top wing on the struts is hard. Its what your boys back then would have called "beastly unfortunate" . Anyway, the Roland has two simple wing struts, and no cabane (thats above the fuselage) struts to screw things up. It also has neat little side windows and cute little curtains to put inside them. The Eduard kit (and its Revell reboxing) is pretty simple. I don't know when it came out, but it has the soft blobby details of Eduard's 1990s-era stuff. This is not the profipack boxing, so I was left to scrounge for details from my spare's box. Luckily I have an almost complete fret of German WW I stuff from i don't know what. This is the aircraft I'm building. But I haven't settled on a paint scheme yet.
Well folks, after all those issues, this one is finally done. It's nowhere near what I was hoping for when I started (due mainly to the painting issues and numerous resprays required), but it is certainly acceptable, and a huge improvement over the basic kit. For those who didn't catch the WIP (here): All surface detail was removed. The nose was lengthened by 1.5mm and the tail shortened by the same amount. The rear fuselage was then reprofiled and the observers cockpit was faired in with putty. The engine is Roden, the exhaust was drilled out and a scratchbuilt manifold and coolant tank were added. Inspection panels etc were added with 5thou sheet, cooling slots drilled out, and the entire solid front of the nose was removed - the prop is mounted straight onto the engine. The interior is scratchbuilt, as is the undercarriage, (the wheels are Barracuda Resin Albatros wheels), and all tail surfaces. Wing tips and centre section cutouts were corrected with fillets and sanded to shape, and ribs added with .5mm masking tape. I still think they're too big, I'll try something else next time.... Finally a scratchbuilt roll-over bar and Miniworld Parabellum finish it off. Rigging is 4thou monofilament. and finally a few comparisons. The other one was built without any fuselage or wing corrections, just a scratchbuilt interior and slightly less "lumpy" undercarriage..... Thanks for looking in! Ian
Hello All, I have been meaning to join this one for a while, but I got sidetracked into the Bomber Command GB with an MPM Wellington and life/work in general... It's an Airfix Roland CII. I compared it with my Harborough First World War fighters book plans and it came out surprisingly well! I've already started filling sink holes and smoothing down lumps and bumps. The observer's sprue feed has been modified into a spike, so he will be wearing a Pickelhaube until I decide it's not funny any more! I'm going to shamelessly crib the WNW scheme with a Lewis gun, white wings and a fish speedometer. Some rudimentary internal detail will be applied but I will have to fit into the time available. My end date is actually Monday 3rd Nov because I am on a two week work trip to the US on Tuesday. Sadly (grrrrr) that means I will miss SMW, which I had been looking forward to a lot! Thanks for looking, Adrian