Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'RIAF'.
Found 3 results
For inspection is this Hasegawa 1:48 Spitfire Mk VIII. Though I had applied decals on this many weeks back, I only got around to doing a panel wash and sealing it with dull coat last night. Mostly straight out of the box except for the Eduard seat belts. The real MT 719 has been restored and still flies out of Addison airport in Texas. I have tried to build it in the configuration/markings it might have had when handed over to India (1946/1947). According to the book "Spitfires in the Sun" by Vikram Singh, MT 719 was one of the first aircraft to be flown into action to counter the Jammu and Kashmir invasion. It was used to strafe enemy columns and carry out offensive reconnaissance missions. and it played a vital part in the battle of Shelatang on 7 November 1947, which was a turning point for the conflict. I used Model Master acrylic colors. For the clear gloss and clear flat I used Model Master acrylics as well. For the panel wash I used Tamiya's black panel line accent. My photography skills aren't great but hopefully you will like what you see.
Greetings! The last time I built a 1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire VIII was around 17 years back. I am revisiting this neat little kit with this quick build. Until the Eduard Mk VIII kit came out, the Hasegawa Mk VIII was the benchmark for me. Though this comes no where as close to the detail as Eduard but the engraved panel lines and the lines are pretty good, providing a neat fit and clean quick build. The cockpit has just around enough detail to look ok when you peer in. The only part I disliked was the undercarriage attachment which took some patience. I gave the kit a primary coat of Tamiya flat aluminum and applied salt to places I wanted the metal to show through for weathering. Next up was pre-shading using Tamiya flat black and then applying the camo - Tamiya Medium Sea Gray beneath and on top Tamiya Flat Earth and RAF Green. This was sealed with Tamiya clear. The stencils were from the kit as well as the spares box (Kits-world). I used xtra decals for the numbering and some more after market decals for the roundels and fin-flash. The reference picture I used is in black and white and i guessed that the nose looked blue and that's what I went with. Some quick history about the subject: This particular aircraft (MD 219) was flown by 2 Squadron Royal Indian Air Force and was forced to belly land when it suffered engine failure while formation flying from Kohat in May 1946. I added extra weathering assuming the airplane required much needed TLC before it went down. The pilot, Flying Officer K.L. Suri survived with minor injuries. I got this information from the excellent reference book, "Spitfires in the Sun" which is now my go-to book for the next few Spitfire builds I am planning.
Morning folks - This is the new Fly 1:32 Hurricane IIC Tropical. I used Yahu instrument panel but otherwise OOB. I will need to replace the canopy however as i over stressed it and there are cracks in it which I discovered taking the photos! By my standards its not a bad build and I have done quite a bit of weathering on it as the photos I have seen show heavily used machines of the time. Paints are Tamiya and humbrol and the decals are OOB. They went on ok but if I had done the African scheme I would have needed some after market decals as the colour rendition was a bit off track. I was originally going to do the fancy North African scheme but when I saw the Royal Indian Air Force scheme I decided that was the one for me. It wasn't an easy build but I like the result and have plans to do another in the future. Chris