Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'RFC'.
Found 3 results
Hallo again This is my DH2 from Roden in 1/32. Here is the rigging a particular thing. I designed the strut support plates, on CAD. In cooperation with Cooperstate Models, they produced these parts. I did this design work voluntarily. It was the idea, to create for all WW1 model a/c these strut support plates. To achieve easier rigging. Moreover, to prevent drilling the wing. On the same way, I did the Be2c in 1/48 and the DH2 in 1/48. However, in the state of assembling the DH2 the troubles did not show up. The strut support plates I glued with CA on the wing. As I need them, for the static rigging. The gluing of struts I did with CA, because of the pin diameter & hole diameter from the Roden kit. In this case, the DH2 I got along because I did all gluing with CA. Well, I have to mention, that the assembly was very difficult. Today I improved the etched parts. I build the Be12 in 1/48, but here I failed. I glued the etched parts with CA and the struts with Tamiya glue. I did not get along. The gluing process is the problem. As a verdict: As long as you only use CA, it is ok. However, here I see the problem for bigger scales. With CA, there is no chance for drying alignment or a dry fit since you need bigger holes and the struts may not be in place for more than a second. I have no solution yet for gluing the struts with Tamiya glue; so I gave up. Maybe some days I have an idea, but not yet. Happy modelling
Who needs a kit? Not me... When the local paper ran a story in 2013 about the first plane to land in my local area I thought I'd build a model. The plane was the BE4 and the two RFC occupants landed near a local pub just over a mile from my home due to "engine problems". As it landed in a field next to the pub one wonders. The pub and the field are still there but the BE4 took two later occupants to Glory when the rudder snapped off, an early example of metal fatigue, and well before many more planes and men took a similar route over Flanders fields. Anyway, here's the model, which I built in a couple of weeks to enter in the local group's annual competition. It didn't place but both model and I got our photos and a story in the local paper. The model is built from balsa and brass wire, the prop was carved from a coffee stirrer! Cheers Will