Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Pink Spitfire'.
Found 1 result
Fatcawthorne posted a topic in Ready for Inspection - AircraftWith a title like this I'll be so disappointed if I don't get a @CedB visit in my near future!! R7059 - built as Mk 1 - first flew Eastleigh 1st Feb '41. Delivered 6 MU 7th Feb. 14th March '41 to Heston Aircraft limited for conversion to PR Mk 1G. 1st May '41 delivered to 1 PRU and based at RAF St Eval for 'dicing' missions watching German battle Cruisers in Brest harbour. (Description stolen from one of @Iain (32SIG)'s post on LSP, thank you Iain.) Well this is what we are aiming for, pictures were found on a cursory Google search for Spitfire PR MkIG R7059 and are posted as fair use and for comparison and cricism with my build. From these photos I can see no evidence of patches over the Browning muzzles so I have left these in PRU Pink, and I can see no evidence of stencilling or walkway lines so didn't do any of that either! The kit was the old Tamiya MkI with a MKV Oil Cooler and windscreen and a Pavla PRU canopy. The PRU Pink was Hataka's take on this contentious colour and is light enough for my eyes when compared to the B&W images above. The panel lines do seem quite pronounced against a light background colour so I have applied a grey Flory wash to enhance them on my effort. Let's show the dog the rabbit: I found the Hataka paint difficult to work with as it dried on the tip of my H&S Ultra far too often. I tried W&N Flow Enhancer that just made it spider all over the place (as did Tamiya X-20A) so as I fancy doing another PR Spit but in Camoutint (also in the Hataka PRU Range) I have got some Hataka thinner in to see how that goes. The serial and tail flash decals came from the Pavla conversion set with the the Squadron codes from an old Almark PRU set (strange they weren't included in the Pavla set as I couldn't find any references of R7059 without the LY). The roundels were from a generic Xtradecal sheet. The seat was from Ultracast and Eduard MK.I P/E was used to enhance the cockpit. Unfortunately the foam I used to mask the cockpit reacted with something and stuck to all the cockpit surfaces and in future loo roll will be used for this. It also reacted with the canopy so it's not quite as crisp and clear as I'd like but I just want this one to be done!!! The furry cockpit was indeed a sight to behold!!! The final matt coat came from W&N. Also with this being such a light colour I kept leaving fingerprints all over the place which I had to constantly rub off with cotton buds. All gentleish C&C welcome, thanks for looking in. Chris