Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'P51-D'.
Found 3 results
Hi All, I finally crossed the finish line with this build which took the better part of 2+ years on and off with a long hiatus in between due to the arrival of my daughter... I had long started the build before she shattered our idle existence so the scheme I selected turned out to be quite prophetic In any case the plane is built from the highly regarded old Tamiya 1/48 scale kit, and to be honest there are better kits out there now that are far more detailed out of the box. I made significant modifications to the kit cockpit and scratch built a lot of additional detail to compensate for the fairly basic detailing I started with. I also re-built the incorrect wheel bays from scratch which represented the most significant bit of scratch building I have yet undertaken. Aftermarket bits are limited to a set of Eduard Steel series seatbelts and a Falcon Vacform canopy (also my first time working with these). I used Vallejo Metal Colour acylics for the NMF applied using a multi layer shading technique to generate some subtle variation in the metal finish. I was after a realistically worn dull oxidized look that's seen in period photos. Markings are from a Lifelike Decals set. More details in the build thread linked below. Build Thread Thanks for looking
So, I have been away for a month or so on business and whilst I was away I got a little self indulgent present delivered After finishing my previous model I decided to challenge myself with a NMF finish and so got the 1:32 Tamiya P51-D Mustang with which to have a go. As I am still a relative newbie I am doing this OOTB..........baby steps....NMF is my next goal.........maybe scratching will come later. I have never attempted NMF before, have purchased some Alclad II black gloss primer along with airframe aluminium and dull aluminium to use on select panels as it seems people like to break up the panels to make it look more realistic.....we'll see how it goes. Got an old Nimrod model that I intend to use as a paint mule and see how easy (or not) it is to get the desired effect. If all else fails I can always go back to the Tamiya rattle cans. So, having had a week or so of very intermittent bench time I have the pit done, still needs to be weathered but I'm reasonably happy with it so far. Also got the engine done and just about ready to join the fuse halves together. Model has gone together well so far, no fit issues so hoping this trend continues as I have had very few fit issues with Tamiya (except those self imposed by not looking at the instructions properly!) So here is how she stands now..........as always, comments and critique most welcome.
Tamiya P51-D Mustang 1:48 scale Eduard Photo Etch for cockpit details. Macro shots taken in the studio with a Canon EOS M3 mirrorless compact camera to which a Canon TS-E 90mm lens and 20mm extension tube was attached via an adapter. Lit with three Canon 600ex-rt flash guns mounted inside a large softbox 600. exposure was 1/60th sec. @ f16 iso 100. The cockpit area is just over 2cm in length. My wife has always loved the P51, and Ferrocious Frankie in particular. So to keep in her good books, this one is for her. Scratches on the seat where the pilot clambers in and out were carefully markes with a sharp silver pencil. The wood effect flooring was grained and weathers with tamiya weathering sets. Flory models wash was applied to give relief. Photo etch was glued with medium superglue and some with gator glue. Here is one of my photos of the real Ferrocious Frankie, on which my model will be based. And on the the images of the cockpit assembly.