Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'P-51D/K'.
Found 2 results
My latest effort, a Meng 1/48 P-51 built as Mustang IVA KH774, 112 Squadron in early 1945. First off I will be the first to admit it is not my finest work! I wanted a quick, easy build after a couple of tough ones and off court problems and distractions. I built an Airfix Tomahawk a while back and this was a later war companion for it in my collection. The kit was generally excellent - good fit in the main and nice details. I filled the wing rivets, added a few wires in the cockpit and replaced the gunsight and IP decals. The only problem I had during construction was due to the push fit nature of the kit - when you test fit, particularly smaller parts such as U/C parts, it is a devil of a job to get them apart again! As is typical with my modelling, I made a few assumptions - and errors! The only reliable picture of this aircraft which I could find showed a light coloured spinner - possibly sky? I assumed that this was a replacement/temporary and I used the theatre red spinner colour. I also left off an antenna wire since I could find no evidence one way or another whether they were used in Italy. I used decals donated from an Italeri kit and this is where it all started to go wrong. I blindly followed the Italeri instructions for the camouflage pattern only to find - far too late - that this is probably wrong for the so called "Firewall" scheme which it was trying to depict. The colours are, I think, correct but the pattern is not. Ho hum! Also, the shark mouth markings were way too long when compared to the picture so they were modified and touched up as best I could to make them look a little better. The final problem was noticed only when I was taking pictures - I don't know how but I hadn't noticed the small light just behind the arial mast - not sure if they were even carried on wartime machines but on my version, it was painted over (Ho hum again!). Anyway some pictures Cheers Malcolm
After posting my comment on the forum topic about the new-tool 1/48 Airfix P-51D, I logged onto the P-51 SIG and looked at the discussion, photos, and factory diagrams on the two styles of dorsal fin fairings. There were two different types documented: one had a perfectly straight upper edge, from the fin to the fuselage, and the other had a slightly curved upper edge. From the information supplied by the several posters, it appeared that the Inglewood Plant used the straight-edged fairing on their P-51D's and the Dallas Plant used the curved-edge, or 'swayback' fairing on P-51K's. Many P-51B's and C's were also retrofitted with dorsal fin fairings in the form of factory-supplied kits. According to the SIG discussion, P-51B's were already out of production at Inglewood when the kits were fabricated, but P-51C's were still being built in Dallas, so the fairing kits supplied for both P-51B's and P-51C's were the swayback style being manufactured at the Dallas Plant. Soooo, I guess that means P-51B's and C's that had the dorsal fin fairing added would have had the curved-edge style, and a bubble canopy Mustang would have the style of fairing unique to the factory at which it was built. Interesting! I never realized there were two types of fin fairings for Mustangs until reading the SIG discussion and hearing that the Airfix kit included both types, which was a plus for them, I think. I hope this information will be useful. Mike