Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Lysander conversion'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Calendars

  • Community Calendar
  • Group Builds
  • Model Show Calendar

Forums

  • Site Help & Support
    • FAQs
    • Help & Support
    • New Members
    • Announcements
  • Aircraft Modelling
    • Military Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era
    • Civil Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era
    • Work in Progress - Aircraft
    • Ready for Inspection - Aircraft
    • Aircraft Related Subjects
  • AFV Modelling (armour, military vehicles & artillery)
    • Armour Discussion by Era
    • Work in Progress - Armour
    • Ready for Inspection - Armour
    • Armour Related Subjects
    • large Scale AFVs (1:16 and above)
  • Maritime Modelling (Ships and subs)
    • Maritime Discussion by era
    • Work in Progress - Maritime
    • Ready for Inspection - Maritime
  • Vehicle Modelling (non-military)
    • Vehicle Discussion
    • Work In Progress - Vehicles
    • Ready For Inspection - Vehicles
  • Science Fiction & RealSpace
    • Science Fiction Discussion
    • RealSpace Discussion
    • Work In Progress - SF & RealSpace
    • Ready for Inspection - SF & RealSpace
  • Figure Modeling
    • Figure Discussion
    • Figure Work In Progress
    • Figure Ready for Inspection
  • Dioramas, Vignettes & Scenery
    • Diorama Chat
    • Work In Progress - Dioramas
    • Ready For Inspection - Dioramas
  • Reviews, News & Walkarounds
    • Reviews
    • Current News
    • Build Articles
    • Tips & Tricks
    • Walkarounds
  • Modelling
  • General Discussion
  • Shops, manufacturers & vendors
  • Archive

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. About twenty seven years ago I modified a 1/48 scale Testors Lysander to the turreted Wendover. Our club, IPMS Mid-Sussex has a special competition theme 'restored examples' so I thought I'd spruce the model up a bit and show you. Potted history of the 'Wendover': In 1940 Westland did various investigations with their Lysander to add a turret. Turrets to were quite fashionable at the time, a prime example being the Boulton Paul Defiant. Even the Naval plane the Blackburn Skua had a four gun dorsal turret added and became the Roc. A Lysander fuselage had a BP dorsal turret added but it seems this moved the centre of gravity too far back and was unuseable in this configuration. According to James' Putnam Westland book, Westland technical director W Petter and their test pilot Harald Penrose visited France in early 1940. Here they both inspected and flew the Delanne T20 which was a sort of biplane with the lower wing mounted low down at the rear of the aircraft. This configuration solved the centre of gravity problems for the Lysander and they were then able to progress a large rear turret. Initially the aircraft flew with just a mock up rear turret but Penrose still managed to loop it on its first test flight in July 1940! According to some references this was as far as the modification progressed. However, work continued and by the end of 1941 a Frazer Nash FN20 (same as used on a Lanc) was fitted. According to my references no firing trial documentation has survived. ............................................................. My starting kit was the Testors 1/48 Lysander. To this I added lights in the wheel spats by pull moulding clear acetate over them, then cut away the front and added a clear 'glass' over a rudimentary light. Milliput was added in the front of the Townend ring to make it less hollow. The main modification required sawing the fuselage in half. An i-beam was glued to the front section and to this three formers were added. I skinned the empennage with thin plasticard on which I had drawn parallel lines with a fine point biro. Once turned inside out this provided a reasonable ribbing effect. The fitting of the first sheet crumpled as I used too much glue. My only option was to repeat the process over the top of the first skin. The end of the fuselage was formed using solid Milliput. The same material was used to make a basic turret shape over which I pull moulded more clear acetate. The rear flying surfaces were carved from solid plastic and I even tried to show the contoured surface on the rudders. Once completed I found I had made the rear section far too short, which gives the whole thing a rather stubby appearance. I used a general arrangement drawing from a publication and this was my downfall. As John, elsewhere on this website has pointed out - 'some publications distort the dimensions of drawings' ! I'll know better next time. Below are some views of my model IMG_0303 by arhills, on Flickr IMG_0302 by arhills, on Flickr IMG_0300 by arhills, on Flickr IMG_0304 by arhills, on Flickr IMG_0239 by arhills, on Flickr
×
×
  • Create New...