Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Imperial Knights'.
Found 1 result
Hi folks, Following on from my earlier Imperial Knights I've finished two larger versions - these are both the Cerastus Knight Lancer, which is a 1/200-ish rendering of a 32mm scale resin kit produced by Forgeworld. Thankfully the little version is in nice robust styrene. These are one-person fighting suits in the usual 40K gothic style, armed for close combat. You can get a sense of the scale by looking at the little cockpit hatch on the top of the carapace - in the usual Warhammer scale they're pretty big models, here rather less so They were slightly easier to build than the smaller nights, with a simpler breakdown of parts, but about as time-consuming to paint. The larger (50mm diameter) bases also invited a bit more attention to ground work and I've tried to present them striding over derelict industrial machinery of the 41st millenium. The base details are mostly offcuts of sprue with a couple of tiny 1/35 AFV parts, the knights themselves are otherwise out-of-the-box. I airbrushed them with Alclad metallics and then painted in all the coloured panels with Citadel acrylics, generally needing about three coats to cover the metal. I used a mix of kit decals, found decals, and some modified and overpainted decals for the House Cadmus banners between their legs. There are quite a lot of different gloss levels on the models - the coloured panels are quite flat, the trim is slightly-dulled Alclad and then things like the sliding parts of the lances were polished with graphite powder and given several coats of a glossy brown wash to create an oily sheen. I also made a fair bit of use of a Citadel weathering paint called Typhus Corrosion - this is a warm dark brown and has "bits" in it. I wasn't sure it was useful at first, but it's great for creating build-ups of grease and gunk when combined with their matt and gloss washes. The copper areas are also pretty bright, with a combination of Hashut Copper (Citadel) and Vallejo liquid metal copper, I'm not sure how well that all shows up in pics, I should try some on a dark background with a key light at some point. Anyway, despite being a bit labour intensive they were fun to build and paint, and look good next to their smaller friends: I will probably start a Titan (bigger yet) soon but I feel like I should address something unfinished first. We'll see... If you want to see the step-by-step, you can click on the photos and read the captions on Flickr, or have a look at the WIP thread here: Thanks for looking Will