Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'HO scale'.
Found 1 result
Hi all, I posted some pics of this kit in the box a few weeks ago, and I've been quietly fiddling with the parts since. I picked it up at our local model railway show from a stall with a huge pile of exciting yellow machines in HO scale. I was a bit wary as model railway kits aren't always the best (and often the tooling is ancient) but it wasn't too expensive so I took a punt. It's actually quite a nice kit - simplified but good lines, although it was let down by tooling that hadn't been cleaned up very well, huge attachment pins, and lots of ejector pin marks. I started off by building some sub-assemblies - the chassis and forward superstructure. It's a bit hard to see against the yellow, but I've done various bits of filling and cleaning where e.g. the hole for a part was bigger than the pin where I attached the cab safety brace thing. The equipment boxes on the chassis also needed some gaps filling, and then I had to remove the ends of their mounting pins where they came through the chassis rails, and clean up after. Similarly, I've trimmed and filled a mix of peg-ends and ejector pin holes under the superstructure as the wheel arches are huge and there's a chance they'll be visible. The best bit is obviously the dump body, provided as one big piece in the box. It was obviously slide moulded so I had to hunt the mould lines quite carefully, and it needed a lot of ejector pin holes filling on and between the ribs underneath. That's most of the parts cleaned up and fitted, except for the exhaust (it's not very good) and the cab which I'll build up separately. I also need to decide about the railings - the kit provides them but they're heavy on the flash and will probably be difficult to clean up well. On the other hand the complex shapes mean making them out of rod will be difficult too. I need to add some detail now, hydraulic and electrical lines and whatever else I can think of which will enhance the appearance. Oh, and make some new steps for the ones I removed under the bumper and up the front of the superstructure, as the kit ones are very thick and clunky. I'm probably going to weather it to look like this: Komatsu PC2000 & HD785-5 by Jose Sarmiento, on Flickr because it looks awesome Cheers, Will