Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Gnat T1'.
Found 2 results
So it all began when I bought this kit on eBay and discovered the seller was @The Spadgent, a modeller whose impressive builds I had noticed numerous times whilst lurking on BM. This prompted me to finally sign up and get properly involved - I’ve not had much time for this hobby since becoming a dad, but life is now a bit quieter and I’m ready to get back into modelling. I have an Airfix Vulcan and Revell Victor both nearing completion in the KUTA XII group build, so I’m keen to start a new kit - what could be better than the Gnat? Hopefully a much more straightforward build, due to the new tooling - the Vulcan and Victor have both been “challenging”, to put it mildly! Here's the box art, along with a message from Johnny! Everything I've read about this kit suggests it will be a simple build. It seems to go together well and airbrushing just a single colour will be a welcome change too! This is the scheme I will use - it has a bit more impact with the "Royal Air Force" titles on the nose, rather than just a lightning stripe on the forward fuselage (as shown on the box art above): The sprues look crisply moulded and the parts should detach cleanly. I will build it without pilots, with the nose panel and canopy open and the drop tanks attached. Here are the parts: I have a day off work and the rain is hammering down outside, so I think I'll make a start...!
Greetings Fellow Modellers! I submit for your perusal a pair of small, so terribly small Gnats . Both models are Airfix's newish Gnat T.1 in 1:72 scale. They represent my return to the hobby, in that on these models I let loose every experiment from which I could learn. I initially wanted to build them OOB, but I ended up using quite a bit of aftermarket stuff: the pitot tubes are Albion Alloy Micro Brass Tubes and the nose wheels are from a nice wheel update set from the Hungarian company SBS. The nose wheels make an improvement over airfix's ones which are a little bit too small. The main wheels are from the kit, and the examples left over from the SBS set will be used later for a hangar diorama. The canopy was cut with a Revell precision saw to enable it to be posed open. The interior of the canopy was lightly detailed with thin plastic card and stretched sprue. For canopy work I mostly used bookbinder's glue, which is a strong PVA type. The windscreen was made flush with the fuselage with the aid of Gunze Mr. Dissovled Putty and then Mr Surfacer 500. Same story for smoothing the side walls of the nose wheel wells. Cockpit and ejection seats were detailed with plastic card of different thicknesses, stretched sprue and very occasionally thin brass wire. Paint was basically Gunze Sangyo Mr Hobby, except Vallejo for detail work and Citadel Runefang Steel for the silver. I had lots of trouble with the H1 gloss white, which I applies much too thickly and as a result wouldn't cure well. Thanks to tips from the Tools&Tips section (thanks DuncanB ) I learned some new skills. First matt white, a coat or two, then one coat of gloss. Works beautifully. Decals were from all over the place: lots of stuff from S&M models' sheet, wing stencils came from the home printer, and the rest was basically scavenged. Please forgive the format of some of the photos, I liked the idea of imitating 1970s film, so I edited the model's images accordingly. gnat2-7 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-9 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-13 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-1 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-3 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-15 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-4 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-5 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-2 by J Goat, on Flickr gnat2-14 by J Goat, on Flickr Thanks for looking! Jay