Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'General Lee'.
Found 1 result
Hello All, I present my first 'WIP' of the AMT General Lee, I started this kit a while back and this post will bring you all nearly up to date with the build. After finishing the Polar Lights Batmobile, I fancied doing another TV show car. I have had this kit in the stash since I was about 10 years old (or about 17 years) so I pulled it out the cupboard blew off the dust and recoiled in horror as I opened the lid to this orange blob of a kit. Now I'm no rivet counter, but I know what the Dodge Charger used in the show looked like... definitely not a fastback, so after some internet digging for inspiration and becoming bewildered seeing the animosity this car seems to attract on forums, I closed the laptop lid and dug out my Corgi version of the car so I could make some rough measurements. After scaling up the dimensions and fudging them until they looked 'Right' I applied some 'Dymo' tape to the lines that needed trimming. After sweating whilst thinking twice about cutting up a fresh kit, I set too and run a fresh scalpel along them several times until I had enough cut out. After a trip to the local(ish) LMS I returned with some styrene sheet and evergreen strip to fill in the gap. After a few hours fiddling I had this, I also decided to trim off the window surrounds on the side windows as they were not a consistent thickness and replaced them with evergreen. First time using styrene sheet and evergreen, don't know how I did without it After a few days fettling which involved re-scribing dull lines and adding evergreen round the tail light section for the missing trim, I sprayed Tamiya fine surface primer through a rattle can, wet sanded then gave it a few coats of VW 'Brilliant Orange' from Halfords. After trying out homemade decals for the first time on the batmobile, I decided I'd detail up the engine bay with some more. A quick search online bought up some period correct 'Mopar' logos and whatnot, I added them to the oil filter, Battery, air filter and radiator. I added hoses with electrical cable and cut 'O' rings from the £ shop. I wanted to recreate the dusty dry mud look that the TV show car usually had from blasting round Hazard County, I achieved this using Humbrol washes and pigments. Interior next, I airbrushed the interior with a Humbrol acrylic shade... I can't remember which one atm and will edit when I have checked. The carpets are sticky-back felt from Hobbycraft and the dials were added with some homemade decals with Humbrol 'Clear' brushed on for the lenses. I also added a veneer decal for the centre console and will add a picture next time I update. A quick mock-up to make sure everything still fitted after the mods. I detailed the trim parts with Vallejo Chrome and a steady hand. The roof decals are from the kit and worked fine. There should be a roll cage inside, but it just did not look right even after heavy modification so I left it out. I am a little further ahead than this at present, but will include pictures with the next update Hope you enjoy the general, C&C's welcome, Happy modelling. Andy.