As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Flight of the Phoenix'.
Found 1 result
The epic movie "The Flight of the Phoenix" is a favorite of many modelers and aviation enthusiasts. Two versions exist, from 1965 and 2004. The first is the one that will occupy our attention here. It would be redundant for me to abound in comments and notes about the movie itself, since most are familiar with it, and if not a quick Internet search will provide all the necessary background, plus I like to use the available time to build. Suffice to say that the movie used several airframes for its static and motion shoots. Of course there is the "original" plane that has the "panne", the Fairchild Packet. Then the plane that is "built" from it, then the plane used by Paul Mantz (Timm-Tallmantz P-1) for the real flying sequences, and then the modified North American 0-47 used for some shots to cover for the demise of the Timm-Tallmantz P-1. (Here at Britmodeller you have an excellent representation of the "static" plane by Mike N): I will be aiming for the plane used to film the flying sequences (there were actually two, see below). There are many differences between the filming static prop and the flying machine designed by Otto Timm. The static prop has a three blade prop, if you excuse the redundancy, while the flying machine has a two blade prop. The wing on the static prop has a more elongated appearance with more squarish tips, while the flying machine has a shorter wing with round and narrow tips. The noses are very different, even if at first glance they look somewhat alike. Many other differences can be spotted. Sources state that to expedite construction of the flying machine Tallmantz Aviation used the nose, engine, prop, cockpit and wheels of a North American T-6 Texan, as well as the outer wing panels from a Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor, so I got those kits ("used", at a fair price) to expedite my construction too, although this is not going to be a fast one, since the schedule ahead looks busy. The main body is a cylinder, while the tail is a cone, as in the original. The tail feathers will be the usual styrene sheet construction with spars. The old Heller kit and the parts that may be used: Since these are going to be cannibalized, get affordable ones in a used state: Parts that may be used from the Texan: A couple parts are glued to determine the diameter needed for the main body: