Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Fine Molds 1:72'.
Found 2 results
Hello everyone! Tepidly starting my first build log. For those of you who decide to follow it, be patient - this is an ongoing odyssey of over a decade now! To cut a long story short. Back in 2002 relatives brought me a vaunted 1/72 Fine Molds X-Wing kit from abroad. Fine Molds were just starting their line and this was the absolute gem of Star Wars scale models. Even today, it's still a great kit. Unfortunately, despite my truly best (brush) efforts, the paint mix (based on the long-extinct Bulgarian "Aerotone" paints) made a chemical reaction midway through painting and resulted in a cracked plastic along the recessed panel lines, in addition to a thick coating that covered up details. And so, the kit sat in this state for several years... Until I decided to strip the paint, disassemble it and start a new. Photos from 2014 when I started the cleanup. Notice the horribly damaged panel lines, cracked fuselage panels and softened details. Raised details on the fuselage were either lost or badly faded. I cleaned up the parts of all paint and glue, and stored them until the day I finally had an airbrush... The canopy clear parts after a lot of polishing: Lot of salvaged parts: In sum, I lost: 1 gun nacelle (finned round radiator housing of the blaster cannon), 1 engine intake, the entire rear part of the cockpit, the radiator at the fuselage top-rear end, as well as some small details around the wing roots. All of these will have to be scratch built!
Occasionally a model will just appear and practically build itself. Well, nothing is every quite so simple here in 72 Land, but this was a painless completion and an ideal mojo restorer. It is the Fine Molds Kayaba Ka-1 autogyro, a simple kit with few parts... but in my case no instructions or decals. However, we manly modellers need no steeenking instructions, and I did have photographic documentation in any case. Like all Fine Molds kit I've built, fit and engineering was excellent, despite lack of instructions. About the only thing that required some thought was the arrangement of struts in the landing gear. My replacement airbrush was still brand new while painting the Alclad aluminum, and detail painting (mostly wheels, prop, leather cockpit surround) went fine. This is completed aircraft #456 (#22 for the year), finished in March of 2016. 17 aircraft and 5 in my small-item ordnance project.