Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Fairey Gannet'.
Found 3 results
This is an old build but freshly repaired! If deemed inappropriate here mods please remove. This is the Dynavector Fairey Gannet kit which is 20 years old now, being a massive Gannetphile and with only the Frog (and derivatives) Gannet in 72nd available at the time, I had to build this one as soon as it came out. I had never made a vacform before (and this is still the only one) so I was a bit worried at first, however the build of this kit was actually pretty straightforward and really enjoyable. I added very little to the kit, just various aerials and probes etc, panel scribing, and weathering was to a minimum. I used Milliput to better represent the Double Mamba intakes. There is so much white metal up f'wrd that it didn't need nose weight. Finish was good old brush applied Humbrol Sky and EDSG and Johnsons Kleer. XA361 was a Gannet AS.1 completed for the Royal Navy in November 1955 at Heaton Chapel. It was part of a great 'Flight' photoshoot as '551-GN' with 719 Sqn at RNAS Eglinton during 1956. It was put into storage in March 1958 before being sold back to Fairey's in 1960, becoming AS-06 for the Indonesian Navy. Anyway, this one has endured two house moves and has just been knocked out of the cabinet again, so I've just been round it with superglue to reinstate undercarriage legs and four prop blades, the model desk briefly became an RNAY! Dynavector Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr Gannet 9 (2400x1603) by James Thomas, on Flickr Gannet 6 (2400x1599) by James Thomas, on Flickr Gannet 4BW (2400x1598) by James Thomas, on Flickr Gannet (2400x1600) by James Thomas, on Flickr Dynavector Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr Gannet 10 (2400x1602) by James Thomas, on Flickr As you can see, I have another one to build at some stage. The kit is superb with very crisp moldings and engraved panel lines, excellent canopies (2 sets), and good decals, to my eyes captures the lines of the real thing slightly better than the Classic Airframes one does. If you haven't tried building a vacform before, I thoroughly recommend this as a good place to start.
After the 1955 refit (angled deck introduction) HMS Eagle sailed in May 1956 to Malta with the air wing consisting of Seahawks, Sea Venoms, Wyverns, Gannets and Skyraider AEWs. Then the Gannets were flown home from Malta and R05 took part in Operation Musketeer in the end of October. Afterwards (somewhere in 1957) another Gannet flight is listed again as operating from the Eagle deck. My questions are: does anybody know the dates when the first Gannet flight (812 NAS) left the Eagle deck and when another (814 NAS) Gannet flight landed on the same deck after the Suez campaign? when were the black & yellow identification stripes painted on the Eagle aircraft in 1956 and when were they removed? are there any photos of the R05 deck featuring any "striped" planes (Seahawk, Sea Venom, a.s.o.) side by side with Gannet (with no stripes of course)? Thank you in advance for any help in this matter Cheers Michael
Well, I've spent plenty of enjoyable hours reading and marveling at other members' WIP topics, so I thought it was about time that I put something back and did one of my own. I don't claim to be anything other than a mediocre modeller, and I don't have the literary skills of a Procopius, but I do have ... well, what do I have? A stash, some paint, some hairy sticks, and a love for building things out of plastic. Anyway, the title may just have included some spoilers, but I'm taking the plunge in partnership with Trumpeter's 1/72 Gannet. I've loved the Gannet for a long time, with its rather idiosyncratic shape, the contra-rotating prop, the Double Mamba and its diesel fuel (has there ever been an engine with a sexier name?), and I picked up this kit at Old Warden a few years back on a Father's Day trip. I've been on a bit of a FAA run recently, briefly interrupted by building an Airfix Tiffie to hang in my son's bedroom, but this is my first Trumpeter experience. It's going to be straight OOB, finished in one of the FAA schemes. Some quick checks suggest that this is a kit with few devils other than the challenge of getting enough weight into the nose, which suits me. First construction shot, this is as far as I have got while applying the finishing touches to the aforementioned Tiffie. Very conventional start to the build, and it's all fit very neatly thus far, just needs some touch-up work on the paint and maybe some masking tape harnesses. And my apologies for the quality of photos on this thread. I live in an old house with unconventional lighting conditions, and I model almost exclusively at night once the bairn is abed. To make things even worse, I don't own a proper camera, being the sort of odd chap that has no desire to take photos of anything much, so this is taken with the phone. Thanks for taking the time to read this far!