Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Dodge Charger'.
Found 2 results
Having watched every episode of the Dukes of Hazard many, many moons ago, I always fancied building the General Lee so recently I bought MPCs version of the famous Dodge Charger in 1/25 scale. Now I’m guessing that the mouldings are very old (possibly late 60’s?) so the fit and finish of parts leaves heck of a lot to be desired, but I guess in the day they were pretty much par for course. Anyway, I’ve wrestled and sweated with this kit for the last two months, but have eventually beaten it into submission.....sort of. The surface finish of the rock hard plastic is horrible, and the parts only fit where they accidentally touch, it really is that bad, so lots of filler, sanding and swearing is required to rectify the built in errors. I’ve scratch built the interior rear view mirror, CB aerial and door mirror as none were supplied in the kit, and I’ve cut and repositioned the front axels as the wheels are designed to be fixed ahead which looks a bit of a stiff pose to my mind. Also, I’ve drilled the bodywork to recess the filler cap, added lead wire HT leads to the engine, a radiator top hose and I had to scratch built the bull bars on the front of the car as the kit version was completely inaccurate. The steering wheel spokes and exhaust pipes have been drilled and slotted, and I added a more accurate roll over hoop inside the car. Other than that the car is built straight OOTB! The paint is Zero Paints ‘General Lee’ Hemi Orange, and most of the chrome is a combination of a Molotow chrome pen and Bare Metal Foil. The base is simply made from balsa wood scraps, and the dirt road is simulated with PVA glue and table salt. The whole base is airbrushed with various Tamiya acrylics and then detailed with artists oils and some Humbrol washes. It’s not a build I’m particularly proud of, but I am pleased I found the will to persevere and that I didn’t give up. So, without further ado here is the General for your critique....... The basic (grotesque) kit of parts. The radiator fan blades aren’t even moulded 90° apart and the decals are thick, very thick! Pre-weathered state. Post weathering with Revell powders.
Hello All, I present my first 'WIP' of the AMT General Lee, I started this kit a while back and this post will bring you all nearly up to date with the build. After finishing the Polar Lights Batmobile, I fancied doing another TV show car. I have had this kit in the stash since I was about 10 years old (or about 17 years) so I pulled it out the cupboard blew off the dust and recoiled in horror as I opened the lid to this orange blob of a kit. Now I'm no rivet counter, but I know what the Dodge Charger used in the show looked like... definitely not a fastback, so after some internet digging for inspiration and becoming bewildered seeing the animosity this car seems to attract on forums, I closed the laptop lid and dug out my Corgi version of the car so I could make some rough measurements. After scaling up the dimensions and fudging them until they looked 'Right' I applied some 'Dymo' tape to the lines that needed trimming. After sweating whilst thinking twice about cutting up a fresh kit, I set too and run a fresh scalpel along them several times until I had enough cut out. After a trip to the local(ish) LMS I returned with some styrene sheet and evergreen strip to fill in the gap. After a few hours fiddling I had this, I also decided to trim off the window surrounds on the side windows as they were not a consistent thickness and replaced them with evergreen. First time using styrene sheet and evergreen, don't know how I did without it After a few days fettling which involved re-scribing dull lines and adding evergreen round the tail light section for the missing trim, I sprayed Tamiya fine surface primer through a rattle can, wet sanded then gave it a few coats of VW 'Brilliant Orange' from Halfords. After trying out homemade decals for the first time on the batmobile, I decided I'd detail up the engine bay with some more. A quick search online bought up some period correct 'Mopar' logos and whatnot, I added them to the oil filter, Battery, air filter and radiator. I added hoses with electrical cable and cut 'O' rings from the £ shop. I wanted to recreate the dusty dry mud look that the TV show car usually had from blasting round Hazard County, I achieved this using Humbrol washes and pigments. Interior next, I airbrushed the interior with a Humbrol acrylic shade... I can't remember which one atm and will edit when I have checked. The carpets are sticky-back felt from Hobbycraft and the dials were added with some homemade decals with Humbrol 'Clear' brushed on for the lenses. I also added a veneer decal for the centre console and will add a picture next time I update. A quick mock-up to make sure everything still fitted after the mods. I detailed the trim parts with Vallejo Chrome and a steady hand. The roof decals are from the kit and worked fine. There should be a roll cage inside, but it just did not look right even after heavy modification so I left it out. I am a little further ahead than this at present, but will include pictures with the next update Hope you enjoy the general, C&C's welcome, Happy modelling. Andy.