Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Cold War AFV'.
Found 2 results
Time for another AFV build. I have a couple of aircraft on the go (Gloster Gamecock and Northrop F-5E) as well as an Airfix Vosper MTB, but I like to have an AFV on the go also! I started this kit a while back after completing the Accurate Armour M41DK project which had been my first AFV build in over 30 years. For those interested in that, the RFI is here: So to the kit. I picked up a rather battered version of the Heller kit a few years ago at Euro militaire. I think I paid around £5 for it. This one comes with Swiss Army marking and also contains the fitting and missiles for an SS11 equipped vehicle. It's a typical Heller kit of it's time, but looked like it could be built into something decent with a bit of effort. I rather like the AMX-13 and always had a fascination for it in my youth, so since picking this one up I also acquired these two beautiful examples from Takom: I have plans for those in the future, they really are superb kits, and do tend to emphasise the Heller offerings age. However, I do like a challenge............... So I will be helped along the way by a track set I picked up also, to replace the Heller vinyl tracks. The rest will have to be improved by scratch detail and hard graft! I didn't start to record the build until quite recently, so here is where we are at the moment. Hull is largely complete, together with suspension components: I've coloured the inside of the vision blocks and plan to use some Clearfix to add the glass, which will then be masked out for painting. If the Clearfix idea fails, I'll just fill then in and paint to represent dark glass.......? The turret needed some internal bracing to hold it all together. In addition I decided to improve on the kit supplied gun/turret canvas seal by using a fair dose of Mulliput sculpted to blend in and represent what I have observed in a number of pictures. The close up view shows there is still a bit of smoothing/sanding to be done, but I'm pretty pleased with the effect. Before completing the basis hull, the right hand side requires the exhaust system to be assembled and installed. I wanted to try and show a bit of a rusted effect so after assembling the basis unit, I stippled it with Mr Surfacer plus some polystyrene cement and dabbed the surface to create a slightly pitted effect. This came out looking like this: Next came an airbrush coat of mixed brown/red, followed by some MIG rust pigment dust. Pretty please with the end result, not too rusty and corroded but fairly typical in service example I think. So as of this afternoon, this is where we are: A long way to go yet, but I'm fairly pleased with progress so far. I'd originally intended to do an IDF AMX from around the six day war, but I'm also tempted by a French Army version during the Suez crisis. More soon Terry
My latest project is Takom's beautiful kit of the Bundeswehr's 8*8 amphibious scout and fire support vehicle. They were in service from the late 1970s until shortly after the turn of the century, when they were replaced by the smaller fenec cars. The Takom kit is highly detailed, and features a reasonable amount of parts for a 1/35 kit. All lights and periscopes are clear. the kit also includes metal suspension springs, some vinyl flaps, and there is a small fret of PE. Markings include two overall dark olive A1 vehicles from the late 70s/early 80s, and two A-2 KFOR vehicles in NATO 3-tone finish. Right now I'm edging towards building one of the earlier machines. Construction began with gluing on various boxy structures to the lower hull. I then painted it a generic dark green primer. Typically I don't paint afv kits until most assembly is complete, but there chassis here will be so complex that it might become difficult to get paint on the hull later. I also put on the rear struts. The front four will go on later. Next I'll assemble the complex rear axles. Each of the four had independent steering, and all are posable on the kit.