Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Bristol 188'.
Found 1 result
I've just got back from 2 weeks away for work. After a long break, you really need a simple kit to get you back in the swing of things. Maybe something like the Airfix FAA Wildcat that I've been thinking of building in a weekend for ages now... Er, no. On the last day I had some free time, so I visited a couple of model shops in Denver. At one of them they had some second hand vac-forms going cheap. This one is pretty basic but for $2.99 who could resist? I have never heard of Dragon Model Works. The sheet has a good basic fuselage shapes, but everything else is a little indistinct, and the engines are rather "blobby" at the ends - it feels like it needed more heat or more vacuum! You can see some faint detailing on the parts, like what seem to be blow-in door outlines, but it all "needs work". There is a canopy, which hasn't yellowed, but I'm afraid storage hasn't been kind to it and I will need to make another. After creating a lot of plastic dust and shavings, I decided that the wings were not going to work for me. Given that the wing had a 4% thickness to chord ratio, and that the chord is about 50mm on the model, two sheets of 40 thou should do nicely: The pencil hatching shows the surface. When scraping, filing and sanding the wing to a taper, you can see how far you have got by seeing which marks have been removed. In this shot I have tapered the outer wing. The engine nacelles come together nicely with some work, and I've fitted the first one over the wing (just taped on for now). I'm considering my options for replacing the intake and exhaust, and for making the blow-in doors: So I'm now here. Must try and finish it before I get tempted by that Wildcat! Thanks for looking, Adrian