Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Airliner Modelling'.
Found 2 results
As I mentioned over on the Civil Aviation page, I've been lurking around airliner builds and threads. I finally succumbed to temptation and bought Revell's 727 kit. I've always liked the look of the 727. That slightly nose-down stance reminds me of my youth when it was the trend to drop the front end of your car by heating or cutting the coils. The Revell kit is pretty accurate in shape but is a little heavy on the panel lines and rivets. The cabin windows are also recessed which I gather, from reading reviews, is a little unusual for an airliner kit. Most it seems are open for clear inserts or non-existent for decals. Not sure what the thinking was behind the recessed windows, decals and a drop of one of the clear solutions perhaps? Anyway, as I like the look of the available 3-D cabin and flight deck decals, I filled the recesses. I avoid the use of putty whenever possible and since I had a few strips of .020 X .080 going spare I decided to fill the recesses with chips of styrene. I made a jig for cutting the chips and applied them to them recesses using a toothpick. Using a generous drop of cement for each chip I waited a few seconds and then pressed down on the softened chip with the flat of a steel ruler. After letting things cure over-night I filed and sanded the chips down flush with the fuselage. Pleased with the results, a lick of primer will take care of any errors. The whole process of putting the chips into the recesses. on one side, and after setting up the jig, took about 50 minutes. Sanding down the front half another 30. I've also backed the windshield with a strip of styrene and will fill it with a little Milliput. Photos not so good. Would have preferred grey plastic but..... Thanks for your interest Dennis
Started this one for a Group Build on another Site so thought I'd post it here as well. Facilitated by the availability of the decals by 26 : which were reviewed here : Using the Airfix A300 kit : This particular example was missing a few parts (such as the cockpit windscreen transparency so some extra work to do along the way.