Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'A blast from the past'.
Found 2 results
Now the Horten is finished I need to get back in the saddle with this build. I started it about a year ago, from a kit purchased in the 1980's. It is of course ancient, I think the tooling comes from 1959. This is how she looks at the moment. I have scratchbuilt a new cabin and cockpit interior, sanded off the millions of rivets and rescribed panel lines (my first attempt so its a bit rough). The kit was out of production at the time so I bought it off a dealer, here is the original reciept: Here are the instructions: Remember when Airfix instructions had a page of text build information? Here are the other parts which I have procured, scratch built or modified, alongside some are the kit parts they replace: Here are the painted props, one had a broken blade so I doweled that with some brass rod, the silver is Alclad Chrome on top of gloss black, the blue is a home made mixture: These are the main wheels, resin ones intended for a Nimrod compared to the toy town offerings from the kit: Here is one of the main landing gear covers I scratch built out of brass sheet compaired to the three foot thick ones out of the kit: Here are the nose wheels, sorry about the focus: The exhausts were of course solid so to give them the impression of depth and a better profile I wrapped plasticard round them and then built up with filler: The finish is Alclad "pale burnt metal". Here are the main landing legs, I cut off the location pegs to allow insertion at the end of the build, added the diagonal retraction strut, hydraulic hoses, anti-rotation jack and lead foil wrapped round for details: My camera has just died so I will post these for now, more to follow later. Nigel