Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'not Pocher'.
OK, so I think I can say with some degree of certainty that I have finally lost the plot. It goes like this: Inspired by some nice work on Scale Motor cars and this site, I rescued a couple of long-forgotten very old, very sad Pocher kits from my mothers house. They were both built very badly by an incompetent idiot. I can say this with some certainty, as the builder was a younger version of me, to the tune of about 25 years. Anyhow, the items in question were a mostly complete Mercedes 540 and the Ferrari F-40 engine I'm currently rambling on about. The Mercedes is parked for now. So to the F-40 motor. Having recently finished my MFH Brough Superior, I've been a bit spoiled regarding what a decent multimedia kit can look like. I also had a look at sourcing an autograph F-40 engine transkit with little success, plus I'm not really willing to pay the crazy money the last few in the world would command. So bearing those two things in mind, I set about the old motor, which looked a bit like this when I started Nasty stuff I know. So having striped it down and removed all the paint and other goo, standby for some modelling heresy - Pocher models are a bit crap. OK, actually really crap. I never understood what they were even at the time - expensive, terrible fit, inappropriate materials, screw together, easy assembly, not intended to be painted in some cases, so I don't believe they were ever actually aimed at modellers IMHO. I was planning on replacing some of the worst bits with various scratch-built and turned items. To cut a long story short, apart from maybe the gearbox, it's all the worst bits. So I rolled my sleeves up and got stuck in with something 'easy' to start with. I give you the Delco Remy 105A Alternator as fitted to the venerable Ferrari F40. Here's the remains of Pochers take on it after I inexpertly 'improved it' in my yoof. Not great. So armed with nothing more than my trusty PeeCee:- Shiny new Resin Printer (we like) Trusty lathe [/url] Not at all trusty, slightly decrepit cerebrum (in fairness, mine is floating in beer, not a jar) plus Google, Fusion 360, and an Ipad pro running Shapr3D... The fun commences. A bit like this Off to the printer, and here's the first test pieces of about a million bits I need to make:- SO not too much to show so far, but the point is I now have an end-to-end workflow where I can do a bit of googling, a bit of sketching, a bit of CAD, a bit of printing and finally get a smooth, highly detailed, strong, accurate thing, more or less out of fresh air and my head. anyway, I'm off for a lie down now. Thanks for looking Nick