Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ficon'.
Hello again. Fresh off completing the YF-97/YF-94C build, I decided to tackle a kit that is (for me) a very tough build -- the MPM 1/72 XF-85 Goblin Parasite Fighter, originally developed to be carried by a B-36 bomber to held defend the B-36 against foreign fighter attacks. Thankfully, this futile effort was made unnecessary by the further development of mid-air re-fueling, which I am certain gladdened the hearts of fighter pilots everywhere, at the time! However, it does remain one of the most interesting, and probably the smallest fighter project ever contemplated, which brings me to my fear of the kit, it's tiny size. Coupled with my ham fingers and lots of fiddly PE parts.... well, you get the idea. This project was actually started a couple or more years ago, when I contemplated a double build, this MPM kit, as well as the 12 Squared kit of the same aircraft. For whatever reason that I can't remember, I decided to start with the MPM kit (and I doubt that I will ever build the 12 Squared one). Both kits look like so: The parts in the MPM kit look like this: You will note that this is the "upgraded kit" which includes a resin cockpit, which I actually decided to save and use with the 12 Squared kit, because the MPM kit also had a PE cockpit, which I felt I needed to get more experience building with PE. Note also the very yellowed vacuformed canopy! More on that later, but this is one of the items that held up the build, back when I started. What to do... What I DID do, however, is decide to being with the cute little trailer used to haul the little fighter around. So, I started to slap together some pieces: Already, I had made my first mistake! Above left, it's no use gluing the two outer rear wheel supports on at this time (arrows), because the wheels are too fat to allow them to spring apart and trap the wheel. These parts have to be glued on later, after the wheels are installed on the inner wheel supports! Above right, the two little triangular towers are a little tricky to put together and get everything to line up, but here's what they look like if you are eventually successful, as I was. The filler was used to fill various defects in the frame work. At the front end of the trailer, near the apex, a flat plastic triangular piece was supposed to be replaced by a nicer PE detail, but I overlooked that part ... Below, the arrow points to the general vicinity of that part, which is right below the rear support for the F-85 fuselage, when mounted to the trailer: Above right, a not-very-good photo of the front of the trailer. Well, enough mistakes for now, back later. Ed