Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Wolfpack decals'.
Hello all I’ve been working on several projects in the shed which have all come to completion around the same time. This one first. The kit is from the box and was a nice change from the short run style kits I usually make. Nice crisp parts that fit with the minimum of fuss. The F86D first flew on the 22nd of Dec 1949 and North American delivered around 2500 before production ended. The USAF phased out the last F-86Ds in 1961 but allied countries continued to use them until the 1980s. The aircraft incorporated two notable new concepts in interceptor/fighter design, the removal of a second crewman in favour of a sophisticated electronic Fire Control System FCS (ah well, that’s progress for you!) and the use of air-to-air missiles instead of a gun. The ‘Mighty Mouse’ FFAR missiles (Folding Fin Aircraft Rockets) were contained in a retractable tray, shown lowered on my model. The aircraft depicted is from the 86th FIS based at Youngstown in Ohio around 1955, tasked with air defence of the Midwestern United States. It’s finished with Humbrol enamel aluminium 27002 and decorated using Wolfpack decals with stencelling from Hasegawa. Minimal weathering was applied as in photos the aircraft looked very clean. Hope you like it, here’s a few pics. Thanks for looking Pete
Evening, I have been developing something of a thing for Hasegawa's F-104 series in 1/72. I am gradually working my way through my favourite schemes; a Marineflieger 'G', a Norwegian Cf-104D, and now a late model Italian jet in the form of a F-104asa-m of 9 stormo, around 2004. It's OOB, with the addition of Wolfpack decals and etched ejection seat handles.This is the only decal set I have found that does the low vis scheme with the correct and unique stencils. Wolfpack do a great range of very high quality decals-I've already built a Vermont ANG F-35a using them, and have a Orange Hobby F-35C in VMFA 314 marks in the final stages using their products. They are some of the best decals I have used; sadly the the guy behind them died last year, so get them while you can. I used Lifecolour for the hazy grey Fs36280 favoured by the AMI for its recent jets, and this went very easily for a very smooth, quick drying and hardy finish. I have been trying out brands like Mig Ammo and AK but just find them really temperantal and fussy to use in comparison with Lifecolour and Tamiya. I have a Hasegawa Typhoon to do next in the marks of 37 Stormo out of Trapani. Like this F-104, this has attractive checker marks on the rudder; they should make a good pair. Anyhow, pics!
Grumman OV-1C Mohawk 131st Surveillance Airplane Company, United States Army Phu Bai, Vietnam, 1966 Hasegawa 1/72 kit Wolfpack decals Hataka A065 US Army Olive Drab acrylic paint I found this photo in the Squadron/Signal In Action book on the Mohawk. Then realised that I had the decals for this aircraft on a Wolfpack sheet that I had bought for something else (an F-35A). So off to the attic I went to look for the kit : The Hasegawa Mohawk kit is old by anybody’s standards. I think this one had been in the stash for at least 35 years, and I remember building the Frog issue of this kit around the late 1960s. Cockpit detail was as basic as it gets but I used the supplied centre console and ejection seats to build something more representative. The kit is the OV-1B version with the large SLAR pod which was deleted (as it happens it would have been very useful to have put ballast in because without it I needed a ton of weight in the nose). The fit of the wing parts was diabolical and needed lots and lots of Milliput and scribing to restore it to something acceptable. In contrast, the tailplane and triple fins were good and fitted well, though they are heavy and hence the nose weight issue. The OV-1B version in the kit does not have airbrakes so these had to be scribed into the fuselage. The undercarriage and doors needed a fair amount of work to add detail. I also cut off the propeller blades and refitted them in the feathered position as all Mohawks seem to be left in this configuration on the ground. This sounds simple, but it wasn’t! The small spinners come in two parts which are nowhere near the same diameter, and each blade needed refining and pinning before re-attaching. All good fun though.