Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Vampire FB5'.
I would like to share with you a model of my favorite aircraft, done not so long ago. This is Azur kit, originally from Special Hobby molds, with decals for the French version. Nice kit. But in some places, putty was required. Model Master paints were used: Navy Blue and Bright Blue - an approximate ratio of 70:30.
Hi folks - so this is my latest - The Revell boxing of the Special hobby de Havilland Vampire - Mk4. I did this as another experiment with Alclad paints - I wanted to see if I could recreate a version of High speed silver by starting with a high sheen finish and winding it down to a more accurate portrayal with weathering - The experiment ultimately failed with the finish ending up basically as NMF which wasn't ideal - but it was still fun to do - Saying that, under some light conditions it does work - but fails as soon as you shine a light on it... as with the images below. Painted with Alclad - with Mr Hobby GX2 for the gloss black base - Weathered with oils and AK emamel washes - added Eduard interior PE set and modified the engine nozzle with some evergreen plastic tubing. Put in the rivets with the Rosie the riveter tool. RNZAF decals from Old Model Decals here in NZ. Here's a shot I did outside, just to show how the light changes the finish quite dramatically: WIP is here if you're interested: Thanks for looking
Just completed my first WIP (thread here) and the first model in my Rhodesia / Zimbabwe history project. 1/72 Airfix Vampire FB. 5 (I think since reboxed by Revell) with decals from Mavdecal. The main colour is Xtracolor RAF High Speed Silver, with Revell Aqua gloss red for the go-faster stripe. There's still plenty of room for my modelling skills to improve, but it looks nice on my display shelf, so I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Hello everyone, welcome to my first WIP. This is also part of my long-term project to build an historical overview of the (South-)Rhodesia / Zimbabwe air force. At the moment I have 2 Vamps and 2 Hunters in the stash, with decals to match, but I'm planning on getting a Spit Mk 22 and a Chengdu J-7 in the not to distant future as well. This is the first build in the series, making the 1/72 Airfix Vampire FB5 in the colours of the Royal Rhodesian Air Force of the mid-50ies. High-speed silver and 3 assegais on the roundels. Rhodesia actually flew Vampire Mk 9s, but as far as I know the only difference is an air conditioning inlet somewhere. For now I'm still focussing on getting my fundamental skills up to par (cleaning up seams and gaps and such), so I'm going to ignore the Mk9 vs Mk5 difference. Enough intro, on with the pictures. Obligatory sprue shots (I started on this kit several years ago, before the hiatus I just came out of) Putting together the fuselage, it's quite obvious this is an older kit. Cleaning up the seams without sanding off all of the raised detail was quite a challenge. Fortunately no huge ditches like I've see in some threads. Humbrol No.1 from a rattle-can Xtracolor HIgh Speed Silver coming on in bits