Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Sauber'.
Well that took a while, about 15 years to be exact! I started this model when I was in my teens and finished it tonight aged 30. It’s been done in stages with varying equipment and skill levels. From what I can remember… Sorry photos haven't turned out the best, the "soft focus" hides some of my blunders I did all the chassis stuff years ago, it’s all brush painted. To be honest I don’t think I did that bad a job of the engine and suspension components. The larger areas that I have brushed are a bit pants but overall its not bad. Worth saying at this point is that my biggest gripe with the model is the colour I have painted the rear brake ducts and inside of the body (not that you see that). It’s the mix stated on the Tamiya instructions which turns out a yucky sick colour, it’s meant to be carbon fibre colour... I painted the body TS-17 rattle can, quite pleased with it. The paint came up ok, can’t remember if I wet sanded any of it, think I just used the Tamiya finishing compounds on it. Couple of blemishes but nothing major, the TS silver colours are quite hard to get a consistent finish on in my experience. I tried to carve out the panel lines a bit and my hand slipped in a couple of places . I filled in the panel lines today using the 0.05mm Stadler pen technique, excellent and so easy. There’s no clear on any of it. I did consider giving the whole thing a whiff but I applied the decals probably about 8 years ago and don’t want to risk it. At some point a few years ago I invested in an airbrush. It’s the cheap unbranded set you get on ebay. Compressor is excellent, the 2 airbrushes in the kit are ok (don’t have anything to compare them too) they do the job but I don’t doubt a more premium one would give better results. My airbrushing skills are still at the level where it is more likely to be me that’s wrong than the tools though. I airbrushed the rear wing and wheels X-18, might have been a TS-29 can though. The airbrush has got more use in my subsequent model. I made a pretty good job with the decals if I say so myself. I use the microscale solutions. One bad bit is the large black decal below the windscreen, the microsol solution makes the decal shrivel up then dries out flat, well it should, this one dried down with a couple of very thin creases, didn’t look too bad at the time but as time has passed and the model handled the high bit has worn away in places so you see silver paint shining through. Its not quite perfectly aligned either but it was an absolute nightmare to put on, I didn't want to tear the very thin end bits, looks worse in the photo than it does in real life actually. Bits that annoy me. The aforementioned sick colour of the brake ducts The aforementioned below the windscreen decal My painting of the windows, I don’t think this kit came with a set of masks for the windows, I either didn’t paint a wide enough bit black or should have painted the body under it black too, you can see an outline of silver. N.B. I absolutely hate painting window outlines, I seem to get paint bleed no matter what I do! Any tips? Hopefully some light coats with the airbrush will give better results than brushing. The front brake ducts, the instructions say paint them white, all the pictures I have seen of the car in real life they are silver. I’m not really a detail freak, you won’t catch me scratch building anything any time soon, but this annoys me! I had painted them and glued them on before I really thought about it unfortunately. Glue marks! What do people use to stick their beautifully painted models together? I use the Revel stuff and it just seems to melt everything! I put all the old ones down to my youthful self being a bit rough but even when I stuck the body onto the chassis today I managed to make a mess being (what I thought to be) sparing with the glue, melted a bit of the silver paint along the bottom of the body but it’s not that noticeable. Its a kit issue but the front panel on the real car is all part of the body so there's no panel line, it also sits a bit to prominently and is straight whereas the real car has a slight curve. Could get rid of the panel line with some filler but that would be a difficult job. Guess I am more of a detail freak than I admit Any feedback or tips very welcome. I concentrated on the bad bits as one tends to but overall I am pretty happy with the model, as long as you don’t look too closely . For my next one, I am building the Revel Jagermeister 956 kit. It’s a kerbside so no engine. I'm using it really as a training model for my airbrush, will try and get round to posting it up. Going ok so far, having lots of fun with masking tape!
Hi everyone. My first ever build, the 1989/90 spec Sauber C9 by Tamiya. Never build a proper model before, but I love this car, so it was a good place to start. Will hopefully end up as below, with some photoetch parts and carbon fibre/kevlar decals.. Firstly separated the front panel from the centre section, then also removed the front spoiler from the base. Whole front end separated. Only isse is on the later spec cars, they used a larger front spoiler lip which looks better, so custom making a new piece to fit out of some old plastic. Thats it for now, need to get some paints and order the p/e and scale carbon fibre.